Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hebrew National hot dogs not kosher

Hebrew National hot dogs not kosher

(Reuters) - ConAgra Foods Inc has been sued by consumers who contend that hot dogs and other products sold under its Hebrew National brand are not kosher.

The lawsuit alleges that meat processing services provided to ConAgra by privately held AER Services Inc fell short of the standards necessary to label Hebrew National products as kosher. As a result, they said, ConAgra misled consumers and was able to charge premium prices.

Eleven individual consumers filed their complaint in May in Minnesota state court. ConAgra moved the case this month to a federal court in St. Paul. The lawsuit was reported last week by American Jewish World, a publication based in Minnesota.

According to the complaint, Omaha, Nebraska-based ConAgra marks Hebrew National packages with a "Triangle K" symbol, and represents that the contents are kosher "as defined by the most stringent Jews who follow Orthodox Jewish law."

But the plaintiffs said in the complaint that AER supervisors "did little or nothing" to address employee complaints that the meat processed for ConAgra was non-kosher. They also said Skokie, Illinois-based AER fired or threatened retaliation against those who complained.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...85H1RE20120618

Uh oh.

Feminist since age three! Marian Paroo's Avatar
    Last I heard they were kosher, just not "Glatt" or "Mehardin" aka fundamentalist Kosher.

I don't care, I live in Israel and eat the Mizra porky ones or the chicken ones my Christian Arab butcher makes fresh.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the organic food that is sold isn't organic either.!

Quote Originally Posted by purplekitty View Post
    Uh oh.
    For those who follow those things closely, Hebrew National has been on the outs with the mainstream Orthodox community and even Conservative movement for quite a few years. The kosher markets stopped selling them long ago and started selling other brands. (One of which got into trouble a few years back for other issues. You can Google "Kosher Pottsville Iowa" if you want more info.)

As for Triangle-K vs. Circle-U, there are competing national organizations that certify kosher. (Think of them as auditing firms.) The orthodox who follow the differences closely, get there cue from their Rabbi as to which certification is stringent enough. Circle-U (Orthodox Union) is the largest and most recognized.

I know non-Jews can relate to the "I'm more religious than you" one upsmanship that can occur, especially among those that are "born again."

I suspect NYC will ban hot dogs soon.

Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if most of the organic food that is sold isn't organic either.!
    Really? </sarcasm>

I love Hebrew Nationals. I always suspected that they weren't completely honest about the whole Kosher label, but they do taste better than any other hot dogs that I've eaten.

Didn't ConAgra get into trouble for something else a few years ago?

Feminist since age three! Marian Paroo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nam View Post
    I love Hebrew Nationals. I always suspected that they weren't completely honest about the whole Kosher label, but they do taste better than any other hot dogs that I've eaten.

When I was a girl, HN franks always came out top of the list in Consumer Reports surveys.

Putting metal in the science oven ysolde's Avatar
    Isla de San Borondon/St. Brendan's Island
    Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    I suspect NYC will ban hot dogs soon.
    Snort. So true. So true.

When we eat hot dogs, we buy these organic, uncured, low-fat chicken hot dogs. They are quite tasty, and don't cause migraines. Otherwise, we go the veggie dog route. The real question is, of course, whether either of these products qualify as hot dogs.
    With freedom to think, and with patience to bear,
    And for right ever bravely to live.
    Let not moss-covered error move thee at its side,
    As the world on truth's current glides by,
    Be the herald of light, and the bearer of love,
    Till the stock of the Puritans die.

Quote Originally Posted by ysolde View Post
    The real question is, of course, whether either of these products qualify as hot dogs.
    Do you know any dogs made from vegetables?

I bought some organic fish sticks from Whole Foods last weekend taste like they were made from recyclable materials also....