Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food poisoning from eating uncooked ravioli?

Food poisoning from eating uncooked ravioli?

Don't know if anyone's here to see this thread (everyone seems to be in Announcements ), but I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to get food poisoning from eating uncooked ravioli.

DS2 ate a frozen raw cheese and spinach ravioli yesterday at lunch - he pinched it from a bowl on the counter while DH was cooking lunch. Today he's had four or five episodes of diarrhea (last one at about 5.30 pm), and he threw up three or four times between 3 pm (when he woke from his nap) and 4.15 pm. He hasn't eaten much today, but he did munch on a bit of waffle at dinnertime, and he drank some water and a little Pedialyte (and has been nursing). Oh, and he had a couple of bites of DH's ice cream

As far as I can recall, this week we haven't had any significant contact with other kids. DS1 is fine (knock wood, cross fingers).

The ravioli had liquid whole egg and liquid egg yolk in it; that's why I'm wondering if it might have made him sick.

Thoughts or experience?
    Fearmongering is a favored tactic by authorities precisely because fear so persuasively rationalizes an expansion of power and curtailment of rights. Since the beginning of the War on Terror, Americans have frequently been told that they must relinquish their core political rights if they are to have any hope of avoiding catastrophe.

- Glenn Greenwald, No Place to Hide

falling over tall buildings in a single trip
    It's always possible, I suppose, but I wouldn't think that it was the ravioli. It was frozen, so unless it spent enough time at room temperature to have completely thawed, and sat around a while, I'd think it was fine. Especially since it was cheese and spinach (as opposed to a meat ravioli). I've eaten many many frozen raviolis like that, and never experienced anything like it. Doesn't mean that's not what it is, but considering how rare food poisening is anyway, it just doesn't seem too likely. More likely than not it was a virus...he could have picked that up anywhere (whether he had contact with other kids or not).

I would guess it's a virus.
    He could have gotten sick from the ravioli, but in all my (and I've had way too many!) food poisoning experiences, it sets in within a few hours of eating the food. If it were food poisoning he probably would have gotten sick last night.
    I hope he feels better soon!

Inactive Member
    The spinach would worry me, not the cheese... I know it was a while ago, but they could have been frozen for a while??? Is he throwing up?

Spinach E.coli Symptoms: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/heal...p?newsid=52002

falling over tall buildings in a single trip
    Frozen spinach is usually blanched before freezing which should be enough to kill the e coli. The symptoms of e coli are typically severe bloody diarrhea and cramping. Doesn't sound like what she described.

I would guess a virus too.

When I've had food poisoning, it happens within a couple of hours or less of when I ate.

Thanks for your replies.

I'm pretty sure it's a virus. He was feverish overnight, and he has thrown up a few more times, poor thing. Right now he's sitting on the couch watching a Blue video. I guess his body's mounting its immune response now, hence the fever. I just want him to feel better

Thank you again.

I hope he's better soon, SF.

Poor little fella! I hope he's feeling better soon.
    Karen

Tiny Heart - Big Nuggets Space Invaders Champion Bounce Champion Critter Pinball Champion TheChicken's Avatar
    Awww. I hope he is feeling better soon.