Page 1 of 107 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Cleanse

Master Cleanse

Day 3

I didn't want to write about Day 1 & 2 in case I wimped out...

So far... not bad at all. The last thing I ate was some really good bread dipped in olive oil Friday evening, then started the lemon/maple syrup/cayenne mix on Saturday morning. Of course I "eyeballed" the cayenne in the first batch and nearly burned my throat out. I had to divvy it up into fourths, and it's still pretty hot. Almost as hot as those cupcakes!

Let's see:

The Good

I feel great - really energetic and not tired at all.

I've honestly only felt mildly hungry a couple of times, but it goes right away if I have a glass of the lemonade.

The Bad

Not eating anything at all is actually easier than modifying (for the short term) but good lord it's just... boring. I had no idea how much time I spent thinking about and eating food! (that's actually part of the whole point of this - it sort of forces you to change bad patterns).

Fasting plays hell with socializing because so much of that is predicated around eating and drinking.

The Ugly

Nothing too horrible to report here - though some of the stories I read about people getting violently ill or feeling like absolute death were a little intimidating.

I haven't been doing the salt water "flush" (which is pretty much exactly like what it sounds like) because one of the guys in my office did the cleanse a couple of times and said if things were... moving along nicely, he wouldn't. I guess it's helpful for people with issues in that area to start.

I don't have a scale, so I won't have any idea how much weight I'll lose - a skirt that had grown tight was definitely looser this morning, though - but that's not really the point for me. I just REALLY needed to get a sense of control. I haven't been... gorging, and haven't gained a lot of weight, but I have absolutely SUCKED at having willpower for the last good while and it's added up.

So far, the best things have been - feeling a sense of accomplishment for sticking to it... and having time to rethink what I eat - I'm super excited to start eating really healthy food -! I've made several fantasy Whole Foods shopping lists in my head! I'm dreaming of things like homemade vegetable soup and celery

It's still a really bad idea.

And anything you lose will come right back.

I thought you were smarter than this, carol!

Falling for some gimmicky "master cleanse" when you know the real path to healthy weight loss?

I understand feeling desperate enough to want to drop several pounds quickly but this is not the way to do it (and I am disappointed that you would advocate it)
    We will be moving to the new forum on November 1st.
    Be sure to register.

http://webegtodiffer.boards.net/

I understand the idea of wanting to gain back control I just think there are smarter ways to do it. This sounds dangerous and unhealthy.
    Michelle

Isn't that the plan beyonce was following to pose weight?

Also, I'm pretty sure there are yoga guru's who actually advocate a fasting cleanse (not sure about he cayene and maple syrup deal)? I remember Reading about the fasting cleanse. It was said that a person could lose up to 10% of their body weight in 1 week! :faint I also remembe ot being writtEn that if you endeavored to do the fast, it'd have to be at a time where you were free of demands and could go to rest at whim.

Also, some dr's recoomend a short fast of sorts if the quick initial weight loss is what it'll take to motivate someone to continue on with abalaanced approach to weight loss...didn't you do the same approach with your nutrisystem, sprock?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix rising View Post
    Isn't that the plan beyonce was following to pose weight?

Also, I'm pretty sure there are yoga guru's who actually advocate a fasting cleanse (not sure about he cayene and maple syrup deal)? I remember Reading about the fasting cleanse. It was said that a person could lose up to 10% of their body weight in 1 week! :faint I also remembe ot being writtEn that if you endeavored to do the fast, it'd have to be at a time where you were free of demands and could go to rest at whim.

Also, some dr's recoomend a short fast of sorts if the quick initial weight loss is what it'll take to motivate someone to continue on with abalaanced approach to weight loss...didn't you do the same approach with your nutrisystem, sprock?
    No. I have never done any kind of cleanse/starvation thing.
    Be sure to register.

ETA: that's not true. I did crap like that when I was young and didn't know better!
    Be sure to register.

nutrasystem is not a fast or a cleanse. You actually do eat food.

This is not a healthy idea.

Beyonce?

Celebrities aren't usually the best sources for healthy weight loss methods.

I'm not sure how motivational it is to lose quick weight by starving for a few days then gaining it back once you start eating again.

Unrelentingly Oppositional Andrea's Avatar
    Things like the Master Cleanse just cause the body to catabolize muscle, which is something you do NOT want. It's counterproductive, harmful and ultimately useless.

If you want to gain control, try Weight Watchers. Don't fantasize about all the healthy foods from Whole Foods you will eat in the future, when the cleanse is over. Eat them NOW. The cleanse will not confer any magic ability to control your intake. The power to do that is within you now.

"When politics becomes a religion, then simple disagreements become apostasies, heresies. And you know what we do with heretics." -- Peggy Noonan