Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Technology and your kids

Old Technology and your kids

Meadow said something in another thread about her dd not knowing what a cassette tape was - how much of older technology do your kids know?

Our last van (which we got rid of a year ago) had only a tape player so ds is familiar with cassette tapes. Dh has played his records for him so he knows what they are.

We used to have a tape answering machine, but I don't know if he ever looked inside that - now we have a digital machine inside our phone.

I've shown him an old rotary dial phone that I have in the crawl space and we used to have a corded phone upstairs so he's seen that too.

He's never seen an 8 track tape. He has seen old typewriters.

Years ago, when our now 19 year old was around 8, we were digging through an old box of 45 records, and he came over, and asked us what kind of CD's they were. We figured 8 track would never be able to be explained at that point

My kids know casette tapes but I'm sure they've never seen or heard of an 8 track. They know about typewriters, corded and rotary phones and have been told that TVs used to work without remotes but I don't think they've actually ever seen one.

When I was a kid, I WAS the remote!

Quote Originally Posted by Mamapalooza View Post
    My kids know casette tapes but I'm sure they've never seen or heard of an 8 track. They know about typewriters, corded and rotary phones and have been told that TVs used to work without remotes but I don't think they've actually ever seen one.

When I was a kid, I WAS the remote!
    Growing up there were four of us in the house and two cats. The goal was to get a cat so that when the time came to change the channel you got to cry "I have a cat" which was an automatic channel changing exemption. In university we actually had an old school push button corded remote!

I don't even own CDs anymore. I am sure my son will be used to only digital media growing up in our house.

my uncle had the remote that turned the dial, KACHUNK KACHUNK, it would sometimes pick up interference and the channels would go round all by themselves... I miss our cable box with the dial, I had it rigged with a match book between the dial and the box, if you could wrangle it just so, it would unscramble HBO... It was a sad day when we had to trade it in for the digital box.

bringing booty back since 1984 stellarfeller's Avatar
    Who remembers those yellow doodads that went in the centre of 45s? What were they called - did they even have an official name?
    Fearmongering is a favored tactic by authorities precisely because fear so persuasively rationalizes an expansion of power and curtailment of rights. Since the beginning of the War on Terror, Americans have frequently been told that they must relinquish their core political rights if they are to have any hope of avoiding catastrophe.

- Glenn Greenwald, No Place to Hide

You can get gold plated ones as necklaces lol!

"The yellow doodad to play your records on a player that didn't have a built in 45 doodad"

Keeping it all together Alexandra's Avatar
    Today my girls saw their first rotary phone. It was hilarious watching them try to dial our home number. What's so instinctive to us was utterly foreign to them.
    --Alex, to my friends