Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adult Sororities

Living like no one else.... Malena's Avatar

Adult Sororities

My neighbor was telling me yesterday that she is in a sorority. I was kinda about a 42 year old being in a sorority. I didn't even know they had adult sororities.

What is the purpose of a grown-up sorority? Is anyone here in one? Is it like college sororities?

I was never into sororities during college, so the idea of being in one as an adult baffles me.

Like the Junior League? That's the only "adult" sorority that I'm aware of. I mean, you are a sorority "sister" for life, so maybe she still does stuff with her college friends?

I know that the Junior League is supposed to be a social club, but also philanthropic in nature.

Adult sororities are pretty common around here. My cousin (who is around 50 I think?) is in one. It's a philanthropic sorority that does a ton of stuff in the small hometown I was raised in.

Inactive Member
    sounds like a reason for women to get together and gossip, or talk about paint colors...

One step closer... Gyroball Champion Angel Pacman Champion kendriln's Avatar
    I know it's very common in some circles that the college sorority you were in is a life long commitment, with a focus on community service, professional development and networking.

Living like no one else.... Malena's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebug View Post
    Like the Junior League? That's the only "adult" sorority that I'm aware of. I mean, you are a sorority "sister" for life, so maybe she still does stuff with her college friends?

I know that the Junior League is supposed to be a social club, but also philanthropic in nature.
    No, it is a sorority that is for the town I live in. My neighbor is not from around here, they just moved here last year but her cousin is a member, so that is how she joined.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather View Post
    sounds like a reason for women to get together and gossip, or talk about paint colors...
    I disagree. At least in so far as my cousin's experience.

Also, the one she's in is not a continuation of a college sorority.

Here's a link.

Putting metal in the science oven ysolde's Avatar
    Isla de San Borondon/St. Brendan's Island
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebug View Post

It's not really a sorority. Its focus is on training women volunteers and sending them into the community to meet specific needs. It also trains women in leadership skills. Among the Junior League's most famous members are Eleanor Roosevelt (first US ambassador to the UN) and Sandra Day O'Connor (first woman on the US Supreme Court).

Can you tell I'm a member?
    With freedom to think, and with patience to bear,
    And for right ever bravely to live.
    Let not moss-covered error move thee at its side,
    As the world on truth's current glides by,
    Be the herald of light, and the bearer of love,
    Till the stock of the Puritans die.

Nihongo dame desu Hexxagon Champion Othello Champion Funky Pong Champion 13 is a Winner Champion Ancient Jewels Champion Apple Kabopple Champion Avalanche Suvival Mode Champion Balancing Act Champion Blosics Champion Bubble Gum Run Champion Car Shooting Champion Cash Machine Champion Chicken Throw Champion Country Bricks Champion Dawn of the Celebs Champion villanelle's Avatar
    Ysolde,
    If you join Junior League at a really crappy time in your life and just sort of flake out and stop participating because you have no time to do anything other than get through yoru days and keep it together, and you let your membership end, are you done for forever? Or do you think you could join again in a new town at some point, if you moved or something?

Hypothetically.

Full Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmella View Post
    It's a philanthropic sorority that does a ton of stuff in the small hometown I was raised in.
    My mother was in one of these before she moved away from Houston.