Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF kind of $%&@ person does this???

Kap didn't say she was coughing, and the kiddo was able to participate in snacks and activities. No one seemed to notice anything was wrong until she complained, so I'm hard pressed to believe that she was horribly ill.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Chalmers View Post
    Kids don't always share every detail with their parents. It's entirely possible the girl never said a word until they were in the car, she said she wasn't feeling good, mom checked her forehead but no fever. I'm just not getting the major neglect here. If the mom knew the kid have a 102 temp, that's an issue, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Sometimes kids will say they don't feel well just to get out of doing something they don't want to do, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    You've never missed a call? Didn't hear it ring? Unknowingly moved it to vibrate? One thing I don't like about my iPhone is the vibrate is soooo soft. I can't hear it like I could on the Blackberry.
    Yeah the BB vibrate wakes me up.
    "Concerning the gods, I have no means of knowing whether they exist or not or of what sort they may be, because of the obscurity of the subject, and the brevity of human life." ~ On The Gods ~ Protagoras

Chris: What do you do at a Young Republicans meeting?
    Alyssa: We help those who already have the means to help themselves. Also, we perpetuate the idea that Jesus chose America to destroy non-believers and brown people.
    Chris: I don't know why, but I feel safer already.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatrix View Post
    Sometimes kids will say they don't feel well just to get out of doing something they don't want to do, too.
    Or, conversely, deny feeling not well to make sure they can go to something they really want to do.

From working in an elementary school, I can tell you LOTS of people do things like the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Chalmers View Post
    Kap didn't say she was coughing, and the kiddo was able to participate in snacks and activities. No one seemed to notice anything was wrong until she complained, so I'm hard pressed to believe that she was horribly ill.
    These are what I was thinking, too.

That said, I have dosed my kids and sent them off to school when they were cold-ish and I could.not. take time off. I am so, so happy those days are over (kids older and my parents now live in town). It sux to be in that place.

Just southwest of the cesspool of humanity
    I miss 9 out of 10 calls on my blackberry. Fortunately, everyone knows to call my husband instead of me. Often, his phone will ring and it will be my sister or one of my grown kids wanting to talk to me.

Friday night, we were out, but my 7 year old was spending the night with her BFF. Evidently, she tried to call me at 9:10 PM but I didn't hear it. The voice mail she left is awesome though, if a bit tear-jerking. She was having her BEST DAY EVER but now that I didn't answer my phone, it can't be a perfect day because if it was a perfect day then she could tell me goodnight but now she can't because I didn't answer. I saved it.

My kids are often tired and complain of aches and pains. It's usually before a growth spurt, but for the past six months they've both been complaining nonstop.
    With DD the last few weeks, it's been one thing after another. It was the third week of school before her attendance was higher than her absences.

It is possible that the mother had no idea her daughter was coming down with something, and it's equally possible that she didn't have a fever in the car.
    I can see this, especially if the child is a whiner and complainer about really minor stuff. At some point, you hear the cry of "wolf" in the same as the story.

Isn't one of the hallmarks of the flu "sudden onset of symptoms"? I remember one time when I left work after making plans to meet coworkers for drinks later. On the way home I got horribly ill.
    Last year I got really sick, and could feel it setting in after I'd arrived at the grocery store. By the time I got out of there, I was feeling truly crappy, though I could still drive. I went home and keeled over into bed.
    "cdesign proponantists"
    "What will you do once you know?" ~ Inuit Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow_S View Post
    Threads like these make me want to lock myself and my children up and never come in contact with anyone lest I be judged for something cuz god forbid I'm fucking human.
    My kids are often tired and complain of aches and pains. It's usually before a growth spurt, but for the past six months they've both been complaining nonstop.

It is possible that the mother had no idea her daughter was coming down with something, and it's equally possible that she didn't have a fever in the car.

Isn't one of the hallmarks of the flu "sudden onset of symptoms"? I remember one time when I left work after making plans to meet coworkers for drinks later. On the way home I got horribly ill.
    to both of the above.
    Mommy to The Angelkitten!

My 9 yo is a total drama llama. I kept him home from school one day last week because he didn't feel well. DH took 1/2 a day and I took 1/2 a day.

By noon time he was fine

But since I don't want to be one of "those" parents who drop their kids off sick anywhere I erred on the side of caution.

I hope that other parents would do the same. I agree that it sucks though (when there is no one to cover for you). Deciding when to send a sick (or not so sick) kid to school or an activity is one of the most stressful parts of parenting.