Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF kind of $%&@ person does this???

Well, I don't have kids but I know for myself, I've always been sickly. When I was younger, my family always brushed it off and ignored it until it got so bad I had to be hospitalized or at least rushed to the doctor. That's why I said I feel bad for the little girl. I may have been projecting my own childhood issues on to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    My oldest is only five, but either DH or I are ALWAYS available by phone if the children are at school or doing something extracurricular away from us.

So I guess we do.
    I didn't say anything about the phone. Its obvious Kap believes the mom knew she was sick and sent her anyway and she's a horrible no good fucked up person for doing so. There are so many more plausible possiblities.

ITA with Bellas post, I have fallen sick several times all of a sudden.
    "Concerning the gods, I have no means of knowing whether they exist or not or of what sort they may be, because of the obscurity of the subject, and the brevity of human life." ~ On The Gods ~ Protagoras

Chris: What do you do at a Young Republicans meeting?
    Alyssa: We help those who already have the means to help themselves. Also, we perpetuate the idea that Jesus chose America to destroy non-believers and brown people.
    Chris: I don't know why, but I feel safer already.

Just southwest of the cesspool of humanity
    I was at my daughter's soccer game earlier. While she played, I was sitting watching with my other kids and next to me was a mom who has 3 daughters - one was playing, one was sitting by her, and the oldest one (15) walked up, bundled in a hoodie and stuff. I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention other than to notice that she smoked a cigarette. In the second half of the game, I heard her telling her mom how sick she was, how much she hurt, how she needed to go to the hospital or urgent care. She said she was burning up and it was then that I noticed the feverish look in her eyes and the coughing (which? geez, if you're going to smoke, do yourself a favor and at least stop while you're sick!).

The dad arrived then to be with the other two while the mom took the 15 year old to the ER. I was all "Thanks for exposing all of our kids to whatever it is." :gg

I know sensitivities are heightened because of the swine flu, but still...

I guess I'm just more outraged that neither parent could be reached. Yes, kids can fall ill all of a sudden. All the more reason to have your freaking phone on!
    Sure, everything we wear smells like barbecue, but you like your shirtwaists triangular, don't you?

Wait, the 15 yo smoked a cigarette? In front of her parents? :faint

As for the OP, I don't know if I feel outraged without knowing more details. I have one drama king child and both of mine have spiked fevers out of the blue. Usually at 2 am. The inability to of the parents to be reached is irresponsible, though.

Just southwest of the cesspool of humanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinkeye View Post
    Wait, the 15 yo smoked a cigarette? In front of her parents? :faint
    Yeah, and at first I thought "Well, maybe she's older than she looks." but later when her mom was taking her to the ER, I asked her other sister (who is 11) and she told me that her sister was 15.

They live close and the little one is in kindy with mine. But now I'm being all judgmental because of a few things... the 15 year old openly smoking, and the mom has a bit of a meth look to her, complete with no teeth in front. Add to that the fact that she has her flu-sick kid at a soccer game during a swine flu pandemic (or near pandemic) and I don't think we're going to do playdates over there.

I guess I'm just more outraged that neither parent could be reached. Yes, kids can fall ill all of a sudden. All the more reason to have your freaking phone on!
    You've never missed a call? Didn't hear it ring? Unknowingly moved it to vibrate? One thing I don't like about my iPhone is the vibrate is soooo soft. I can't hear it like I could on the Blackberry.

Kids don't always share every detail with their parents. It's entirely possible the girl never said a word until they were in the car, she said she wasn't feeling good, mom checked her forehead but no fever. I'm just not getting the major neglect here. If the mom knew the kid have a 102 temp, that's an issue, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Inactive Member
    I've seen way too many parents drop their kids off at school with a hacking cough and high temp - so I guess I'm automatically a bit skeptical that mom didn't know. Parents often have other priorities and don't want a child's "illness" getting in the way. NO, not all parents, but way too many. :gg

My oldest is only five, but either DH or I are ALWAYS available by phone if the children are at school or doing something extracurricular away from us.
    I've had times when I *thought* I had my phone with me, only to discover that one of my kids had taken it into their rooms, and I missed a few calls.

Or the times I *thought* I put it in my purse, but left it on my desk instead.

Or when it somehow got switched to silent and I didn't know it. I had missed 13 calls before I noticed I had missed calls. And then it took me two days to figure out (a) that it was set on silent, and (b) how to switch it back to normal mode.