Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Christmas cookie recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    My favorite cookies:

but this year I'm making chocolate mint fudge my mixing chocolate chips with mint chips. .
    They are selling those prepackaged. :) I bought two bags today.

Just southwest of the cesspool of humanity
    I did too - the Andee's brand??

Nestle made them.

Just gave this recipe a trial run tonight and it's AWESOME. Pretty too.

White Chocolate Raspberry Thumbprints

3/4 cup butter, softened
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar (used 1/4 Splenda brown sugar)
    2 eggs, separated
    1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
    1/4 cup baking cocoa
    1 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts (need to be crumblike)

Filling:
    4 squares (1 ounce each) white baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam (DH prefers strawberry so that is what we used)

In a small bow, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Combine flour and cocoa; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigeerate for 1 - 2 hours or until easy to handle.

In a shallow bowl, whisk egg wites until foamy. Place nuts in another shallow bowl. Shape dough into 1 in balls. Dip in egg whites, then roll in nuts.

Using a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in center of each cookie. Place 1 in apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 8 - 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.

In a microwave, melt white chocolate and butter at 70% power for 1 minute; stire. Microwave at additional 10 - 20 second intervals, stirring until smooth. Spoon about 1/2 teaspon into each cookie. Top each with about 1/4 teaspoon jam. Store in an airtight container.

Tips: put the fillings in ziplock baggies, snip the corner and fill the cookies, it is much easier than trying to 'spoon' it in. Also, the jam does MUCH better if it is squeezed on top, much more control over where it goes. And if you can't find seedless strawberry, the seeded one is fine, that is what we used and the seeds were not noticeable.

This is so totally on my forever list!!

Almond Cheesecake Bars
    2 C all-purpose flour
    1 C butter, softened

Filling
    1 package (8oz) cream cheese, softened
    1/2 C sugar
    1 teaspoon almond extract
    2 eggs, lightly beaten

Frosting
    1 1/2 C confectioners' sugar
    1/4 C butter, softened
    4-5 teaspoons of milk

1. combine the flour, butter and confect. sugar, press into bottom of 13"x9" baking pan, Bake at 350 degrees 20-25 minutes or till golden brown.
    2. For filling, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and extract until smooth. Add eggs, beat on low speed just until combined. Pour over crust. Bake 15-20 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on wire rack.
    3. Combine frosting ingredients until smooth; spread over bars. Store in fridge. YIELD 3 dozen

***I topped it off with slivered almonds before cutting into serving sizes. I would actually suggest cutting them into 1/2 of the bars, it will double your outcome and they are so rich, the smaller size is more than enough!
    “There is something wrong in this country; the judicial nets are so adjusted as to catch the minnows and let the whales slip through.” Eugene V. Debs

Quote Originally Posted by RileyandFredsmom View Post
    Just gave this recipe a trial run tonight and it's AWESOME. Pretty too.

White Chocolate Raspberry Thumbprints

3/4 cup butter, softened
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar (used 1/4 Splenda brown sugar)
    2 eggs, separated
    1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
    1/4 cup baking cocoa
    1 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts (need to be crumblike)

Filling:
    4 squares (1 ounce each) white baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam (DH prefers strawberry so that is what we used)

In a small bow, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Combine flour and cocoa; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigeerate for 1 - 2 hours or until easy to handle.

In a shallow bowl, whisk egg wites until foamy. Place nuts in another shallow bowl. Shape dough into 1 in balls. Dip in egg whites, then roll in nuts.

Using a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in center of each cookie. Place 1 in apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 8 - 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.

In a microwave, melt white chocolate and butter at 70% power for 1 minute; stire. Microwave at additional 10 - 20 second intervals, stirring until smooth. Spoon about 1/2 teaspon into each cookie. Top each with about 1/4 teaspoon jam. Store in an airtight container.

Tips: put the fillings in ziplock baggies, snip the corner and fill the cookies, it is much easier than trying to 'spoon' it in. Also, the jam does MUCH better if it is squeezed on top, much more control over where it goes. And if you can't find seedless strawberry, the seeded one is fine, that is what we used and the seeds were not noticeable.

This looks wonderful!! Will try this this week!!
    “There is something wrong in this country; the judicial nets are so adjusted as to catch the minnows and let the whales slip through.” Eugene V. Debs

Quote Originally Posted by Sarsparilla View Post
    A patron brought us these incredibly delicious sugar cookies, seriously the best I've ever had. A couple of days later, she came by and after I complimented her, she offered me the recipe. I brought it home and promptly lost it. The key ingredient was cream cheese. I think this is it. I'll report back in a day or so. The cookie the patron brought was a candy cane cookie, with red dye in half the dough, but I'm just going to do regular cut outs.

Anyone here made sugar cookies using cream cheese before?
    I'm just bumping this for me!

If I have some recipes to share should I add them here or start a new thread?

I think adding them here is fine, Lyrehc.

I have a couple to add then:

This recipe is from CDKitchen. I made it for the first time in 2006, and my family has demanded repeats every year since:

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies
    CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com
    Serves/Makes: 38 | Difficulty Level: 3 | Ready In: 30-60 minutes

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup cocoa powder
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 egg
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1 jar (10 oz. size) maraschino cherries
    1 package (6 ounce size) chocolate chips
    1/2 cup condensed milk

Directions:
    In a large bowl, stir flour and next 4 ingredients. In another bowl, beat together butter and sugar on low speed until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla - beat well. Gradually add dry ingredients to creamed mixture; beat until well blended.

Shape dough into 1/2-inch balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Press down center of dough with thumb. Drain cherries, reserving juice. Place cherry in center of each cookie.

In small sauce pan, combine chocolate pieces and condensed milk. Heat til chocolate pieces are melted. Stir in 4 tsp. cherry juice. Spoon about 1 tsp. frosting over each cherry, spreading to cover cherry. Frosting may be thinned by adding more juice, if necessary.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.

This next recipe is my all-time favorite cookie. It's very different from anything else I've ever seen. It's not really Christmas without them.

Starlight Sugar Crisps

1 pkg. Dry yeast
    ¼ c. very warm water
    3 ¾ c. flour
    1 ½ t. salt
    1 c. butter
    2 eggs, beaten
    ½ c. sour cream
    1 t. vanilla

Soften yeast in water and set aside. Sift together flour and salt; cut in butter until particles are the size of small peas. Blend in eggs, sour cream, vanilla and softened yeast. Mix thoroughly. Cover; chill at least 2 hours.

Vanilla Sugar:
    Combine
    1 ½ c. sugar
    2 t. vanilla
    food coloring (if desired)

Roll out half of chilled dough on pastry cloth or board, which has been sprinkled with about ½ c. vanilla sugar. Roll out to a 16x8 rectangle. Sprinkle with about 1 T. more vanilla sugar. Fold one end of dough over center. Fold other end over to make 3 layers. Turn ¼ way around and repeat rolling and folding twice, sprinkling board and dough with additional vanilla sugar as needed.

Roll out to a 16x8 rectangle about ¼” thick. Cut into 4x1 strips. Twist each strip 2 or 3 times. Place on baking sheets. (It helps to spray with Pam each time you refill them). Repeat entire process with remaining dough. Bake at 375º for 15-20 minutes, until light golden brown. (I only bake them long enough for the bottoms of the cookies to begin to turn color). Cool on rack or waxed paper.

(Dough may be refrigerated up to 4 days and baked as needed).
    For the above recipe it's important to use GOOD vanilla. You can also substitute rum extract and have it turn out well. I haven't tried other flavor options.