Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas cookie recipes

Ok, here are my usuals I make on my plate o' goodies..

Creamsicle Fudge

1 1/2 stick butter
    2/3C evap. milk
    2C sugar
    1 jar marshmellow cream
    2tsp orange flavor
    1 package white chocolate chips
    1tsp vanilla

Boil butter, sugar, and evap milk for 5 minutes. Add marshmellow cream and white chocolate chips. Spread half this mixture into greased 13x9 pan. Add orange and vanilla flavor to remaining half, then spread ontop the white layer.

Ribbon Fantasy Fudge

3C sugar
    3/4C butter
    2/3C evap milk
    1/2C peanut butter
    6oz chocolate chips
    7oz (1 jar) marshmellow cream
    1tsp vanilla

Add 1 1/2C sugar, 6T butter and 1/3C evap milk in heavy saucepan. Bring to ful boil, stirring constantly. Continue to boil for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add chocolate ships until melted. Add 1C marshmellow cream and 1tsp vanilla. Beat until blended, pour into greased 13x9 pan. Repeat with remaining ingrediants, replacing the peanut butter for the chocolate chips. Spread peanut butter mixture over chocolate layer. Cool at room temp.

Spritz Cookies

1C butter, softened
    1C sugar
    2 egg yolks
    1tsp almond flavor
    2 1/2C flour

Cream butter and sugar, beat in egg yolks and almond ext. Sift flour into mixture 1/2C at a time. Place dough into cookie press. Pipe dough onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 10 min or until lightly brown.

*With these I like to add food coloring to make the red and green. I divide it in three bowls and add red to one, green to another and keep the third white. It depends on what shapes you have on your cookie press as well. I use the white to make snoflakes with a little powdered sugar dusted on top as soon as they come out of the oven. I use the green to make trees and the red to make wreaths.

Thats all I have for sure this year.. I will be doing some testing on new recipes I have found to see which ones I will add to my plate...

Oh, and I always make dipped pretzels too. They are super easy!! I buy the almond bark at the store (they usually only carry it around the holidays), melt it in the microwave (it comes in a micro safe container and i just melt it in that!) then dip the pretzels in the melted bark. I then set on them wax paper, and usually use some red/green sprinkles (thats my girls favorite part to help with!!) then let cool on the wax paper! Easy and pretty foolproof! :)

Husband & Wife 7~5~03
    Natalie Grace 6~9~04
    Julia Isabelle 3~12~06

Premier Sponsor
    For kids with food allergies to eggs, milk, and nuts, you can take Oreos (name brand reguar only), dip them in very high quality chocolate (no milk added--its the really good stuff), and add sprinkles. We make those for my neice because she can't eat most traditional Christmas goodies.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

ETA... On the Creamsicle Fudge I add a few drops food coloring to the orange flavor to make it orange... Also when the sugar, butter and evap milk are boiling, stir constantaly.

Don't know where my edit button went!

Husband & Wife 7~5~03
    Natalie Grace 6~9~04
    Julia Isabelle 3~12~06

Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti
    (from allrecipes)

1/4 cup light olive oil
    3/4 cup white sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    2 eggs
    1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    1 1/2 cups pistachio nuts
    Add to Recipe Box
    My folders:

Add to Shopping List
    Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
    In a large bowl, mix together oil and sugar until well blended. Mix in the vanilla and almond extracts, then beat in the eggs. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder; gradually stir into egg mixture. Mix in cranberries and nuts by hand.
    Divide dough in half. Form two logs (12x2 inches) on a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Dough may be sticky; wet hands with cool water to handle dough more easily.
    Bake for 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until logs are light brown. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
    Cut logs on diagonal into 3/4 inch thick slices. Lay on sides on parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake approximately 8 to 10 minutes, or until dry;cool.

I've made the cranberry pistachio ones that coachgrrl posted. They're fabulous.

I have a long list of cookie staples I make but will have to post them later.

Here are some of my standards.

Easy shortbread cookies

1 lb butter - room temp
    2 cups flour
    1 cup powdered sugar
    1 cup cornstarch
    1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cream butter until light and fluffy. Mix dry ingredients together and add butter slowly until incorporated. Roll dough into 1 inch balls, place on ungreased sheet, flatten slightly w/ floured fork. Bake 20-30 minutes, or until outer edges start to brown. Cool on wire rack.

I've often dipped half of the cooled cookies into melted chocolate, added lemon zest or ground up almonds to the batter. These freeze really well so I often make a bunch in advance and give them as gifts. They can't be made into cut-outs or rolled though.

Caramel filled chocolate cookies

1 cup butter or margarine, softened
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 1/4 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    3/4 cup cocoa
    1 cup chopped nuts
    1 tablespoon white sugar
    48 Rolos or regular caramels

1. Beat butter until creamy. Gradually add sugars, beat well. Add eggs and vanilla, beat well. Combine flour, baking soda and cocoa. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating well. Stir in 1/2 cup nuts (optional).

2. Cover and chill at least 2 hours

3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees

4. Combine remaining 1/2 cup nuts w/ 1 tbsp sugar. Divide the dough into 4 parts. Work w/ one part at a time, leaving the rest in the fridge. Divide each part into 12 pieces.

5. Quickly press each piece of dough around a Rolo or caramel. Roll into a ball. Dip one side into sugar. Place sugar side up 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Bake for 8 minutes or until it seems done. Let cool at least one minute before removing from cookie sheet or cookie will fall apart. Remove to wire rack and cool completely.

These also freeze well.

Lemon bars

Crust
    1 cup sifted flour
    1/3 cup powdered sugar
    1/2 cup chilled butter
    -Blend flour and powdered sugar in a bowl. Cut in 1/2 cup chilled butter until blended and mixture is somewhat granular. Firmly and evenly press dough into an ungreased 9x9x2" baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.

While the crust is baking, combine 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder. Blend in 4 beaten eggs and 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice. Add lemon zest to taste, if desired.

Pour the mixture over the crust in the baking pan, return to oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the lemon mixture sets (I've sometimes had to bake it for up to an extra half hour for some reason, to get the lemon stuff to gel). Remove to wire rack to cool. Sprinkle w/ powdered sugar and cut into bars.

I often double this recipe and put them in a larger pan so the bar is thicker.

Chocolate caramel shortcake bars

Here's another one, I make a lot but forgot to mention yesterday

1 cup flour
    1/4 cup white sugar
    1 cup butter, divided
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 sweetened condensed milk
    2 tbsp. cory syrup
    1 milk chocolate bar (I use the Hershey's Symphony bar or a Cadbury Dairy Milk bar)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In medium bowl, combine flour and white sugar. Cut in 1/2 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into ungreased 9-inch square baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes or until crust begins to brown at the edges.

In heavy saucepan, combine remaining butter, brown sugar, sweetened condensed milk and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook, stirring continuously, for 3 minutes more. Pour hot mixture over cooked crust. Cool slightly, then refrigerate for 15 minutes or until set. Spread melted chocolate (I nuke in the micro) over the set caramel. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until set. Makes about 2 dozen bars. I also double this recipe most of the time.

White chocolate snowman pretzels

These are obviously not cookies, , but I made them last year w/ my kids for a bake sale. The kids had a blast helping me, they were easy and they were a HUGE hit w/ everyone at the sale.

Lg. pretzel rods/sticks
    white melting chocolate or white chocolate chips
    Mini chocolate chips - eyes and buttons
    red or orange decorating gel or some other small bits of orange candy - nose
    Gummy lifesavers/peach rings for hat trim
    fat gumdrops - top of hat
    Fruit roll-ups for scarves - cut narrowly enough to tie

Melt white chocolate in cup tall enough to dip pretzel sticks in 3/4 of way. Place wax paper on cookie sheets. Dip pretzels one by one in melted white chocolate. Place on wax paper. Place chocolate chips for eyes and buttons, leaving sufficient space at top for hat and for scarf. Dot decorating gel on for nose. Let harden in fridge.

Slip gummy ring over top of pretzel, followed by gumdrop. Attach to pretzel w/ bit of melted white chocolate. Tie fruit-roll up sarf and place finished snowman in mug or other cup so face doesn't get smudged.

Note - mini-M & Ms are too big to use for the eyes although they might be cute for the buttons. Decorating gel doesn't truly harden so it can be smudged even after rest of snowman is set. On a later batch last year I used some left-over red royal icing (the kind you make for gingerbread cookies and houses that gets really hard). Or maybe a red hot or some other red or orange candy cut up.

Pinwheel Cookies makes 4 dozen

2/3 cup unsalted butter at room temp
    2/3 cup sugar
    1/2 vanilla bean, cut lengthwise
    1 egg
    1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa

1. cream butter and sugar together, add seeds scraped out of vanilla bean, and beat in egg until smooth. Set aside 3/4 cup of batter

2. add 1 cup of flour to remaining batter, beat until smooth. Roll dough between two sheets of waxed paper to form a 12X8 inch rectangle. Transfer wrapped dough to a baking sheet and remove the top sheet of waxed paper.

3. Beat remaining 3/4 cup flour and cocoa into the reserved batter. Roll the dough out as in step 2. Remove top sheet and invert the dough onto the first rectangle. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.

4. Remove top sheet of wax paper. Starting on long side roll the dough up tightly jelly-roll fashion. Refrigerate it, wrapped in the bottom sheet of wax paper, for at least 1 hour.

5. Preheat oven to 375. LIghtly grease baking sheets.

6. Remove wax paper and cut roll into 1/4 inch slices. Arrange 2 inches apart on baking sheet and bake until pale golden, about 12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

Mexican Wedding Cakes

2 cups flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1 1/4 cup walnuts toasted and cooled
    2 sticks unsalted butter at room temp
    1 cup pwdered sugar (plus 2 cups set aside)
    1 large egg yolk
    5 tsp brandy
    2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper (or very lightly grease). Sift first 4 ingredients into medium bowl. Finely chop walnuts and add to mixture.

In seperate bowl beat butter until fluffy. Add 1 cup pwodered sugar and beat until blended. Add egg yolk, brandy, and vailla and beat to blend. Beat in Flour mixture.

Using one TBL dough for each cookie shape dough into balls and arrange onprepared sheets, spacing 1 inch apart. Bake 12 minutes and reverse sheets. Bake about 12 minutes longer until brown on bottom, cracked on top, and just beginning to color. Place 2 cups powdered sugar in a small bowl and gently roll a few cookies at a time while they're still hot in the sugar.

makes about 3 dozen

Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
    Recipe courtesy Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Desserts, Miramax Books, 2003

Recipe Summary
    Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes
    Yield: about 48 cookies
    1 (16-ounce) container dark chocolate frosting
    1/2 stick butter, room temperature
    2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
    1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
    1 cup very finely ground almonds
    48 chocolate kisses, unwrapped

Beat chocolate frosting and butter in large bowl until well blended. Mix in graham cracker crumbs and almond extract. Place almonds in a pie pan or other shallow bowl. Shape chocolate mixture into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in very finely ground almonds to coat. Place balls on cookie sheet. Using a finger, make deep indentation in center of each ball. Fill indentations with chocolate kisses. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until cold.

I made these w/ dd for a cookie exchange. She was supposed to do all the work and this was easy and fun for her to do. They're so sweet they make my teeth hurt and I wouldn't eat one unless I had a gun held to my head b/c of it, but thought it was a good recipe to make w/ young kids.

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    Stink, what fraction of a cup is half a stick of butter? We don't get butter in sticks here - it only comes in one-pound blocks.

Here's a recipe that we've made for the past couple of years. They're a bit labor-intensive, but so yummy!

Peppermint Patty Sandwich Cookies

The combination of peppermint and chocolate is a holiday winner. The dark chocolate dough is ideal for cutting into all sorts of holiday shapes, such as holly. (From "Festive Cookies" in the December issue of Canadian Living.)

3/4 cup (175 mL) butter, softened
    1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
    1 egg
    1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
    1-1/3 cups (325 mL) all-purpose flour
    2/3 cup (150 mL) cocoa powder, sifted
    Peppermint Buttercream:
    1/4 cup (50 mL) butter, softened
    1-1/4 cups (300 mL) icing sugar
    2 tbsp (25 mL) whipping cream or 18% cream
    2 tsp (10 mL) peppermint_extract
    Garnish:
    3 tbsp (50 mL) crushed peppermint candy

Preparation:

Line 2 rimless baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.

In large bowl, beat butter with brown and granulated sugars until fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla.

In separate bowl, sift flour with cocoa; add to butter mixture in 2 addition, stirring to form smooth dough. Shape into 2 discs; wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 24 hours.)

Between waxed paper, roll out each disc to 1/4-inch (5 mm) thickness; transfer to tray and refrigerate until firm, 30 minutes. Using floured 1-3/4-inch (4.5 cm) oval or seasonal cookie cutter, cut out shapes, rerolling scraps and chilling dough between cutting. Place, about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart, on prepared pans; refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.

Bake in top and bottom thirds of 325°F (160°C) oven, rotating and switching pans halfway through, until firm and no longer shiny, about 8 minutes. Let cool on pans on racks for 10 minutes; transfer to racks and let cool completely. (I don't bother with rotating and switching the pans, though)

Peppermint Buttercream: Meanwhile, in bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy; beat in cream and peppermint. Using piping bag fitted with small plain tip or sturdy resealable plastic bag with 1 corner snipped off, pipe about 1 tsp (5 mL) onto centre of half of the cookies; place remaining cookies on top, pressing gently to press icing to edge.

Garnish: Pipe dab of icing onto centre of top; sprinkle with candy. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. (Make-ahead: Layer between waxed paper in airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.)
    Additional Information

Variation
    Vanilla Heart Sandwich Cookies: Cut circles using floured 1-1/2-inch (4 cm) round cutter. Using 1/2-inch (1 cm) heart-shaped aspic cutter, cut out hearts from half of the circles (use hearts for rerolling). Replace peppermint extract with vanilla; omit peppermint candies. Makes about 4 dozen.

Source

Canadian Living Magazine: December 2005
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

I'm just here for the lulz. Sarsparilla's Avatar
    A stick of butter is 1/2 cup, so half a stick would be a quarter cup.
    Welcome to Fluffytown. No smoking, no farting, no pillow fights.

Some of these sound so yummy.

Inactive Member
    Do any of you substitute Splenda and margarine instead of the sugar and butter? If so does it just fuck up the cookies?