Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know anything

Does anyone know anything

about clarinets?

I'm trying to shop ebay and found what might be a helluva price on a wooden model, but eff me, I don't know!

Everyone has said don't buy anything off ebay, LOL, but not having any luck locally.

Bueller?

Is said child trying it for the first time?

Can you rent one to make sure that it's going to be for real? I called my cousin to get them to return my clarinet for my daughter to use... she went to band 3 times after school and decided it sucked.

They had taken impeccable care of it with the pads and such.

Perhaps they would like to use that one until mom can purchase another?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    Wanna come over? I take Visa, MC, Discover, and Rocky Road.

falling over tall buildings in a single trip
    There's no way to know if it's a good price on the clarinet or not. If the pads are in good shape, you'd be good, but if not you could end up spending a shit ton of money for new pads. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

That said, my parents lucked into a cheap (albeit plastic) clarinet, that miraculously only had a few pads that needed replacing. I don't even know where they found it.

I'd be leary of buying something like that off Ebay unless you know you can return it after you have it looked at.

Good luck!

I'd go to Kennelley Keys or a music store and rent, or rent to own or what not.

Between pads and corks and keys, there are too many moving parts for me to be comfy buying a used one off of ebay.

I played Clarinet for about 5+ years...FWIW :)

Best place on earth

looked on ebay at theirs...blech. No way man.

Our main store around here rents the Bb Clairinet for 15bux a month it looks like.

Best place on earth

Scout, we have at least two music stores in our area that rent to own, or just rent. Have you looked into something similar near you? We own Andrew's trumpet through this, and rented Mal's cello.

I don't think I'd risk eBay unless the clarinet could be returned. It could be a great deal or it could be a lemon, & replacing pads, tweaking keys, etc., can really add up, making your "great" deal quite the opposite. Rent-to-own is a fairly decent option if you have a music store that does that, I think we paid $24/mo for Z's clarinet. Check out pawn shops, ask music/band teachers if they know of anyone wanting to sell one, or if there's a college with a music department nearby, you could check there, too.

I've never actually bought anything on ebay. But, I'd be leery. I'd do the rent-to-own at a local music shop instead.

We've been renting dd's clarinet for three years now - $11/month. We get to return it every summer, the store keeps them serviced and in good shape. Unless my dd intends to play past high school, we'll keep doing that.

This year dd's in jazz band, and needs an alto sax as well. Those are much more expensive than clarinets to buy. We're renting that, too, for $25/month.

Crunchy and a little nutty PB&J's Avatar
    I would rent one the first year. My 12 year old is playing the trumpet this year. We rent it from the school for $120 a year. If he wants to continue playing it, we will look into buying one, but for now, we are renting.

Let me just add that trumpets are freaking LOUD.