Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know anything

Quote Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
    Let me just add that trumpets are freaking LOUD.
    Trumpet was on the list that dd was interested in trying. Apparently you can buy a doodad to mute the sound when practicing.

Did you talk to the band director? We contacted the senior high band director last spring about any seniors that were graduating and wanted to get rid of their instrument. He knew which ones were well cared for. It worked well.

This is her third year playing and she seems pretty interested in keeping going. I was renting, but it was $40 a month and I hated the place, so I took it back. We are using a cheap rental from the school, but intrument has pretty serious problems and I can't get it looked at for 2 more weeks. Dd is having trouble adjusting to the new one as is, which is something I didn't foresee. So I don't want to keep switching on her and was thinking if I could find something decent for a few hundred bucks, it would be worth it. But like you all said, I have NO IDEA how to tell if the pads are good and the cork is good, etc. :gah

Tiny Heart - Big Nuggets TheChicken's Avatar
    This one time, at band camp....

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon View Post
    Did you talk to the band director? We contacted the senior high band director last spring about any seniors that were graduating and wanted to get rid of their instrument. He knew which ones were well cared for. It worked well.
    Her band director is keeping his eye out for me, but nothing yet.

Crunchy and a little nutty PB&J's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChicken View Post

You did WHAT with your flute?!

DD's instructor told us to look at craigslist. A lot of parents sell their kids' instruments when the kid moves on. I found an excellent condition oboe for $300. It was a steal.

For the three seconds that Cris played the clarinet, I rented it from a music store complete with insurance for theft, damage or loss. Cheap, cheap, cheap. IIRC, we were paying comparable to what Nansel posted - around $10 - $15 per month.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChicken View Post

I do think, in thinking further, that maybe I should stick with plastic since she is doing a tiny bit of marching and she has to lug it back and forth to school a lot. Maybe the wood would be too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by purplekitty View Post
    For the three seconds that Cris played the clarinet, I rented it from a music store complete with insurance for theft, damage or loss. Cheap, cheap, cheap. IIRC, we were paying comparable to what Nansel posted - around $10 - $15 per month.
    Not. Helpful.