Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are band/orchestra kids still viewed as geeks and nerds?

Not gifted but accepting presents
    We're totally aiming for geek/nerd status at our house. While it makes for a few painful year in Jr. High/High School as a "life" plan the geek/nerd thing seems to have worked out well for most I know.

Those "geeky" scholarships are a lot more plentiful than the cool ones.

Culturally in my area (largely LDS) most every kid plays an instrument of some sort, so playing an instrument isn't considered uncool. By High School you generally have to choose band vs. cheerleading/sports, because obviously you can't be playing in the band, cheering, and playing the sport at the same time, but there was a lot of cross-over. I remember the coolest guy (at least I thought so) at our school was Student Body President, Captain of the Football team, and played the sax, he wasn't in band (played sports) but he played with the band in some of their concerts.

Also a lot of the "cool" kids that couldn't be in band, were in choir, show choir, or musical theater, and with the whole High School Musical thing, musical theater is enjoying a bit of a renaissance, at least in the schools around here (according to the 14-18 year olds I teach at church ).

There is definitely social divisions, but I think there is quite a bit of movement between the groups, esp. for girls, when I was in show choir, one of the other girls played basketball, did show choir, and was homecoming queen.

Not in my neck of the woods.

In fact some of the most respected kids are in the band.

I think it's wonderful.

Premier Sponsor
    Well my oldest son jokes about it a lot. But at his high school the band is way better than the football team. This year they opened the color guard to girls who weren't in band or orchestra and a good number of girls from the pom squad defected to band. They really are an awfully good band ( Bands of America Grand National Champions in '06 :suzanne). He's hoping that band and debate will get him some scholarship money in the future.

Monica

I don't think the band folks at my high school were ever considered geeks just for being in band. The most popular girl at my high school was in band, and I remember a lot of other band folks who were popular.

Premier Sponsor
    I think they are still called "band geeks" at our school but I don't think being a "geek" is a bad thing.
    Remember the saying..........Be nice to geeks/nerds - someday they will be your boss!
    Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here, we might as well dance!

Band geeks were not mocked at my high school...it was a pretty small high school, many of the people in the music program also participated in sports.

They weren't mocked at older D's high school, either. Her school was so huge that you wouldn't necessarily know someone was in the music program unless you were, too.

Younger D is currently waiting to hear if she won the lottery for this awesome middle school - she's already decided that if she gets in, she wants to keep playing the viola. Even though she loves to sing, too.