Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: WBTD Recipes!

Since I have to search this recipe every year, I'm putting it here..

Courtesy of Freckled
    Party Potatoes

5 pounds Yukon gold or other kind

2 (3 oz) packages of cream cheese

8 oz sour cream

1/2 c milk

2 teaspoons onion salt

black pepper to taste

Ok so boil potatoes like usual and mash. Then put the other stuff in and mix it up. Put in casserole dish and you can reheat it the next day at 325 for 50 minutes or so.

The whole point of the recipe is so you can do it beforehand. Works well!

double post

Died of foot poisoning... Minnie's Avatar
    Home made ice cream.

So good, and so easy and you don't need an ice cream maker - you just need a good electric mixer.

3 eggs
    1 cup of cream
    10 tablespoons of caster sugar

Divide out egg whites and egg yolks into separate bowls, making sure that you don't get any yolk into the egg white. Put five tablespoons of caster sugar into each. Beat egg whites and sugar until they form stiff peaks. Beat egg yolks and sugar until the mixture is thick and will hold a figure eight. In a separate bowl beat the cream until it forms soft peaks - of you beat it too stiff, add some more cream. Pour all into one bowl, fold with a flat spoon. That's it! Pour into a 2.5 litre container with lid and freeze. To flavour either use the chocolate ganache recipe below or maybe some jam or whatever you think will work. The ice cream is best if left to freeze overnight.

Chocolate ganache

500 mls of Cream
    500 gms of good quality dark chocolate

Put cream into a pot, wait until it's just about to boil, but don't let it boil, and take if off the heat, add the chocolate, roughly broken up. Leave for two minutes and then stir and whisk. It won't look good at first but it will eventually come together. Chill.

You can use the ganache to flavour the ice cream by waiting until the ganache is chilled and swirling a cup through the ice cream base before you freeze it - also add chocolate chips if you want.

You can also use the ganache as a chocolate sauce or as a frosting.

My kids love the ice cream and it's great to give them something which is a treat, but preservative free.
    "I have referred to children belonging to themselves, not parents, biological or otherwise. As taonga, children are to be treated with respect, responsibility, love and care by all members of the group." ~ Justice Gendall
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle View Post
    Parenting, as a firm rule, should not involve firearms.

I tried this for the first time last week, easy (and quick) to make and it was delicious:

Creamy Spinach and Artichoke baked pasta

250 g pkg fusilli (I use WW or flax seed pasta)

2 tsp olive oil
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 bunch green onions, about 1 cup chopped
    3 cups packed, chopped fresh spinach
    398 ml can artichokes, drained and chopped
    1 cup vegetable broth, preferably sodium-reduced
    1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 250 g. brick cream cheese, softened
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    1/2 tsp red-pepper flakes
    1/4 cup bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 500F. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water, following package directions but omitting salt, until just barely tender, 6 to 8 min. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high. Add oil, then garlic and onions. Cook for 1 min. Stir in spinach and artichokes. Cook until spinach starts to wilt, 1 min. Stir in broth, Parmesan, cream cheese, lemon juice and pepper flakes. Stir until cheese is melted, then add pasta. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs over top.

Bake in center of oven until topping is golden, about 5 min.

Crockpot Fiesta Chicken

This came from my mother-in-law, and is very simple and tasty.

1 can black beans
    1 can fiesta corn
    1 jar salsa (heat level is your preference)
    1 pack taco seasoning mix
    1 pack of 6-8 fresh chicken tenders, not breaded
    Shredded Mexican cheese for topping

Drain half the liquid from the beans and corn. Add them to the crockpot, along with the salsa and taco mix. Stir to combine. Last, add the chicken tenders. Cook on low for 7-8 hours, stirring occasionally. When cooked through, shred the tenders with a fork and stir. Top with cheese before serving.

This made enough to feed 5 or 6 easily, or have leftovers the next day. I didn't add any salt or seasonings, as there is plenty already in each ingredient. You could put this over rice, tortilla chips, use as a taco or burrito filling. Very versatile, simple, and delicious!