1/2 Cup Olive Oil
    1 Small Onion, Finely Chopped
    1 Large Potato, Peeled And Cut Into Cubes
    4 Cups Chicken Broth
    1/3 Cup Dry Marsala Wine
    1 Cup Heavy Cream
    Salt & Pepper To Taste
    1/4 Cup Chopped Chives

Cut off about 1/4 inch off the tops of each garlic head; place in a baking pan, and pour the olive oil on top. Bake in a 400 degree F. oven for about one hour, or until the garlic is soft.
    Cool (they are HOT), then squeeze the garlic pulp into a small bowl. Reserve the olive oil.
    Using the reserved oil, sauté the onions until translucent. Add the broth and the wine, and bring to a boil. Add the potato cubes and the garlic, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for around 30 minutes or until the potato is soft.
    Puree the soup in batches in a food processor. Return the soup to the pot and add the cream. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
    Ladle soup hot into bowls, and garnish with chopped chives. Serve.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." — Henry David Thoreau

From Sarsparilla:
    Maria’s Chicken Soup

I learned this one from the woman for whom I nannied and cooked for three years. She got it from a cleaning lady (Maria) she once had. I haven’t made it in years because I don’t eat chicken anymore, but it was always a huge hit with company.

1 whole chicken (I used 4-6 breasts because I didn’t like dark meat)
    2 onions
    2 cans garbanzo beans
    3 bell peppers
    2 Tablespoons crushed- not ground- oregano
    olive oil

garnishes:
    grated cheese
    chopped avocados
    lime wedges
    chopped jalapenos
    chives
    chopped radishes

Put the chicken in a pot with enough water to cover plus half again
    Add one of the onions, cut into quarters
    Cook mostly covered until chicken is tender; remove meat to cool.
    Chop bells rough and sauté in olive oil with other onion chopped-add to broth
    Bone chicken and shred- add to broth
    Add garbanzos using liquid in can if necessary to stretch the broth, it usually is
    Add oregano, salt and pepper to taste
    Bring to a boil; simmer 15-20 minutes

Serve soup with bowls of garnishes at table
    Each bowl you eat can be a little different by adding different granishes.
    Highly tasty stuff.
    Last edited by Yeffie; 01-29-2007 at 10:11 AM.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." — Henry David Thoreau

From Sarsparilla:
    Moth Ear Soup
    Here's a good one if you are not afraid to open a few cans. My grandmother made this for my mother, who loved it so much it was dubbed "Carol's Soup". When mother made it for us, we called it "Mother's Soup." My brother, who never met a word he didn't want to torture, renamed it "Moth-Ear Soup".

1 large can tomato juice 46 oz
    2 cans cream of celery soup
    1 can instant rice (measure boxed rice in soup can, don’t look on the market shelves for canned rice!)
    2 cups water
    1 pound ground beef, turkey or vegetable protein
    garlic powder 1 tsp
    2 cups shredded carrots (not chopped!)
    1 small onion, minced

Brown your meat with your minced onion. Toss in the shredded carrots and cook for a minute or two. Toss all of this plus everything not yet used into a soup pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 30 mins, until carrots are tender.

We eat it with a spoon full of salsa in the bowl. Mmmmmmm

From FOP:
    I made this last week and it was a big hit. I originally found it on allrecipes, IIRC:

Potato Soup

* 1 pound bacon, chopped
    * 2 stalks celery, diced
    * 1 onion, chopped
    * 3 cloves garlic, minced
    * 8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
    * 4 cups chicken stock, or enough to cover potatoes
    * 3 tablespoons butter
    * 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    * 1 cup heavy cream
    * 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
    * 3 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
    * salt and pepper to taste

--In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until done. Remove bacon from pan, and set aside. Drain off all but 1/4 cup of the
    bacon grease.

--In the bacon grease remaining in the pan, saute the celery and onion until onion begins to turn clear. Add the garlic, and continue
    cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cubed potatoes, and toss to coat. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Return the bacon to the pan, and add enough chicken stock to just cover the potatoes. Cover, and simmer until
    potatoes are tender.

--In a separate pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. Cook stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the heavy cream, tarragon and cilantro. Bring the cream mixture to a boil,
    and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir the cream mixture into the potato mixture. Adjust seasonings to taste.

I used fresh tarragon as well and tossed in a small handful of shredded cheddar right before I served. One thing I'd do different is to not mix all the bacon back in when it says to, maybe just 1/2 of it, and save the rest to be stirred in right before serving.
    I also had 1/2 a roasted chicken left over, so I did shred that and tossed it in the soup too. Be sure to use russet and red/yukon gold since the russet will (mostly) "mush" and the others will give you more of the potato chunks.

From FOP:

Hearty Beef Stew

This is my fabulous beef stew. My mom made it and I ended up tweaking it some. It is delish.

Hearty Fall Stew

* 1 – 1.5 lbs stew meat
    * 2 Tb olive oil
    * 4 tsp chopped prepared garlic, divided
    * 2 15 oz cans tomato sauce
    * 1 1/4 cups burgundy wine
    * 1 10.5 oz can double strength beef broth, reserve 1/3 cup
    * 4 -5 med sprig fresh rosemary or 3 tsp dried
    * 1/2 tsp black pepper
    * 3 bay leaves
    * 3 – 4 med carrots, sliced
    * appx 4 med red potatoes, diced
    * 3/4 cup frozen peas

* 3 TB cornstarch & 1/4 cup water

—In a large pot/soup pot over med heat, brown stew meat in olive oil & 2 tsp garlic. Appx 5 minutes.

—After stew meat is browned, add in tomato sauce, wine, broth, rest of garlic, pepper, rosemary (take leaves off sprigs before adding), and bay leaves. Stir. Reduce heat to low/simmer.

—While meat & sauce are simmering, prepare the vegetables (chopping/dicing). Add them to pot along with reserve beef broth. Stir. Cover and let cook at least four hours, until veggies are tender and meat is falling apart. Stir periodically during cooking time.

—A few minutes before serving, mix cornstarch and water thoroughly. Bring stew to boil and add cornstarch mix to thicken, stirring constantly. It should thicken easily and take but a couple minutes. Thicken to desired consistancy.

Serve with warm biscuits and remaining wine.

You can easily adjust the vegetable amount to desired levels but be sure to use red potatoes and not baking potatoes. Baking potatoes will become extremely mushy and put too much starch into the stew while it’s cooking—you’ll get more mush than stew. I leave the skins on the potatoes as well.

From Guin:

Curried Honey Sweet Potato Soup
    - Makes 8 cups -

Ingredients
    Tablespoon olive oil

onion, diced

medium-sized cloves garlic, peeled

cups (48 oz.) chicken or vegetable stock

lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks

medium russet potato, peeled and cut into chunks

teaspoons salt

Tablespoons Orange Blossom honey, divided

medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced

2 to 3
    teaspoons curry powder

1/2
    teaspoon pepper

1/2
    teaspoon ground ginger

1/4
    cup chopped fresh cilantro, optional

Directions
    Heat oil over medium-high heat in a soup pot. Add onion and sauté until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add stock, potatoes and salt. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.

Puree mixture in batches, put soup back over low heat and add 5 Tablespoons of the honey, bell pepper, curry powder, pepper and ginger. Bring to a simmer, taste and adjust seasonings.

Microwave remaining 1 Tablespoon honey for 5 seconds on High. Serve soup drizzled with a little warm honey and sprinkled with chopped cilantro, if desired. Serves 4 to 6.

From JW

JW's Jewish Mamma Chicken Soup

1 Kosher chicky (must be kosher because Frank Perdue don't know nothing about no chickens plus America's Test kitchen agrees with me on the supremacy of kosher chickens ) Cut chicken into quarters first and remove guts into plastic bag where the cat cannot get them and bring them to eat on the carpet in front of guests just as you're all sitting down to a big meal. Not that I'm saying this happened to me or anything.

4 turkey wings or chicken feet if you can find them (disgusting and delicious)

4 cups water
    2 carrots chopped
    2 stalks celery chopped
    1 onion peeled in half
    1 bay leaf
    1 rutabaga or turnip if desired
    some salt, peppercorns

1 bunch dill -- DH insists on parsley but he is heretic and not Jewish so can be ignored and/or mocked depending on my mood

1 teaspoon chicken bullion to be hidden when neighbors come over and denied vigorously when serving

One small child to help by playing with cats and keep them away from raw chicken.

Throw all ingredients into very large soup pot and bring to a gentle boil. Keep boiling soup for at least four hours. Ignore husband's protestations that proper soup can made in an hour because he is Irish and should stick to potatoes. Skim every twenty minutes or so.

Empty pot into strainer. Convince husband to do this as he owes something to contribute to soup besides his absurd opinions about the misuse of dill. Throw away bay leaf, turkey wings, chicken bones. Don't throw in garbage pail or cat will eat them on the dining room carpet. Not that this happened to me last passover or anything like that.

The soup can be served that night with a little cooked rice or matzo balls or pasta. Just add chicken and a few of the carrots. The soup is much better when you let it sit in refrigerator overnight and serve the next day.

This soup can also serve as the basis for other soups including wonton, eggdrop, and the fabulous the Greek avegolemono. The stock can also be substituted for water in many recipes.

From Niles

Chicken Taco Soup

2 cans great northern beans-drained and rinsed
    2 cans corn-drained and rinsed (I use a big bag of frozen, because I don't liked canned corn ).
    2 or 3 cans diced tomatoes (I like the Mexican seasoned, and I use one can of the extra hot rotel as well)
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 can chicken broth
    1 pkg. Taco Seasoning
    3-4 chicken breasts

Saute chicken breasts until cooked through. Drain and dice. Add all ingredients to a large crockpot and cook until heated through.
    Top each serving with: sour cream, shredded cheese and either Fritos, or tortilla strips.

From Niles:
    Quick & Easy Chicken Corn Chowder
    1 cup uncooked white-meat chicken cubes
    1 Tbsp. olive oil
    ½ cup chopped onions
    1 bay leaf
    1 cup water
    1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
    1 pkg. McCormick Country Gravy mix, original flavor
    2 cup milk
    1 cup corn

In 8-qt. stockpot, sauté cubed chicken and onions in olive oil until cooked through. Add bay leaf and potato and cook 30 minutes longer until potato is tender. In a separate bowl, whisk together gravy mix and milk. Add gradually to chicken and stir until it begins to thicken. Remove bay leaf and add corn. Serve with corn muffins.

From Niles:

Baked Potato Soup
    2/3 cup butter
    2/3 cup flour
    7 cups milk
    1 lb. Bacon cooked and crumbled
    8 large baked potatoes (I always bake some extra potatoes when we have them to make this soup), peeled and cubed
    3 green onions, sliced
    1 cup sour cream
    1 & ½ cup shredded cheese

Melt butter in large (5-qt) pan. Add flour, stirring constantly. Add milk and stir until thickened. Add onions, potatoes, and bacon. Cook for about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add sour cream and cheese. Stir and serve. Serves 6.