3 TBS vegetable oil
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
    1 1/2 cup regular strength chicken broth
    3/4 tsp. each salt and cumin
    1/8 tsp. cayenne
    2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Heat oil in a large deep saucepan. Add rice, and stir to coat. Stir in onion and garlic and cook until lightly browned. Add tomato sauce, broth, salt, cumin and cayenne and mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover tightly. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes.

Remove from heat and mix in 1 cup cheese. Turn mixture into greased casserole and top with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, in a 375 oven for about 15 minutes...or until melted and lightly browned.

1 1/2 cup long grain rice
    3 TBS vegetable oil
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
    1 1/2 cup regular strength chicken broth
    3/4 tsp. each salt and cumin
    1/8 tsp. cayenne
    2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Heat oil in a large deep saucepan. Add rice, and stir to coat. Stir in onion and garlic and cook until lightly browned. Add tomato sauce, broth, salt, cumin and cayenne and mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover tightly. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes.

Remove from heat and mix in 1 cup cheese. Turn mixture into greased casserole and top with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, in a 375 oven for about 15 minutes...or until melted and lightly browned.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." — Henry David Thoreau

From BHL:

Pizza from Boboli Crust:
    Oh, the Boboli crust... Here's what I do... It is delish!

cover it in aromatic olive oil and crushed garlic (from a jar)
    Place slices of fresh roma tomato all over it
    Sprinkle sundried tomato pieces around
    top with grated mozzarella and parmesan
    Bake for 15 minutes or so.

It's really good!
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." — Henry David Thoreau

From Stinkeye:
    Chicken noodle soup

1 3 lb chicken - whole or cut-up, whatever works for you
    3 carrots - cut up
    3 ribs celery - cut up
    2 or 3 turnips, about 1/2 lb, trimmed and cut into pieces about the same shape as the celery and carrots

1 cup leeks, quartered lengthwise and cut up

1 zucchini - (I never add this, but the recipe calls for it)
    6 cups (or more) fresh or canned chicken broth
    1/4 cup rice or 2 bags of Reames noodles (found in freezer section)

1. Rinse the chicken & place it in a kettle/pot. Cover w/ water. Bring to a full boil and drain well. Don't skip this part! This helps get rid of that nasty grey scum stuff you get when you boil a chicken.

2. Return the chicken to the pot and add the chicken broth and veggies (except the zucchini, which is a PITA to try to separate and why I don't do it b/c it gets too mushy if you don't). Simmer 20 minutes. (Add the zucchini and simmer 5 minutes longer if you want).

3. Add the rice and salt and pepper to taste, and cook until it is tender, about 10 minutes (or cook the noodles at this point, by throwing them in the pot)

4. Remove the chicken and let it cool a while. Shred the meat w/ your fingers or cut it up and add it back to the broth. Adjust the amount of broth to get the thickness/thinness of soup you want and serve.

This makes enough for me to freeze half and eat half of the soup that night. My kids request this at least once every couple weeks.

From STinkeye:

White Chili

1 lb Great Northern Beans
    2 lbs Boneless/Skinless Chicken breast
    1 tb Olive oil
    4 cloves garlic
    2 (4oz) cans chopped green chilies
    2 tsp cumin
    1 1/2 tsp oregano
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    6 c. chicken broth
    2 cups shredded Jack cheese
    salt and pepper to taste
    sour cream, salsa and chopped cilantro to garnish

Soak beans according to package directions; drain well

Place Chicken in large dutch oven and cover with boiling water simmer 15 min or until tender. Drain, cool and chop into cubes.

Saute onion in oil in the dutch oven over med heat for 10 min. Add garlic, chilies, cumin, oregano, cloves and cayennes and cook 2 min. Add beans and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer stirring occasionally for 2 hrs or until beans are tender. Add chicken and cheese stirring constantly until chili is throughly heated and cheese is melted. season with salt and fresh ground pepper.

From Stinkeye:
    Pokeys' Potato Leek Soup with Ham & Cheddar -
    I've made it before and it's great

6 cups chicken broth
    4 leeks, chopped (white part only)
    6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
    2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 cups milk or cream
    2 cups grated sharp cheddar
    2 cups cubed ham

In large pot, cook potatoes, chicken broth, leeks and garlic. Bring to a boil, then simmer 25 to 30 minutes. Puree mixture in blender or food process until smooth, then return to pot. Whisk in milk on summer, add cheese and whisk until smooth. Add ham and simmer for 15 minutes until done.

From Stinkeye:
    Lentil soup

3 carrots
    2 onions
    1 stalk celery
    3 garlic cloves
    2 C. lentils (rinsed)
    8 C chicken broth
    3 TBSP chopped parsley
    1/2 tsp each oregano, basil, thyme
    bay leaf

Wilt vegetables in small amount of olive oil over high heat. Add rest of ingredients and simmer in covered pan 1.5 hours

Add 1 can (16oz) solid pack tomatoes and 2 TBSP wine vinegar, simmer 30 more minutes

Scout's Chicken Tortilla Soup

(this only serves two, so you have to double up!)

1 14.5 oz can chicken broth
    1/2 c salsa
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 c corn kernels
    2 tbs cilantro
    1 tbs lime juice
    2 roma tomatoes, small dice
    1 c broken tortilla chips
    Diced avocado
    Shredded Jack cheese

Mix broth, salsa and cumin in sauce pan and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently, 10 minutes. MIx in corn, 1 tbs cilantro, lime juice and roma tomatoes. Ladle hot soup into two bowls and sprinkle w/ remaining cilantro, tortilla chips, avocado and cheese.

You can also put some leftover shredded chicken. Also, when I make this I usually add extra broth cause it makes it a bit more "soupy." You can play with the amounts quite a bit on this one.

From BettsyBoop:

Stew:

My favorite soup is a two part process.

First you have to make Roast, potatoes and carrots for the first dinner. Then you take ALL the leftovers (this includes juices and the celery from the roast etc.) you chop up the celery very fine. You store all the leftovers over night, or generally I will freeze it for a week or so.

Then you take out your leftovers and you put them in a BIG pot. You then add equal parts of canned vegetables that you like. Since it already has potatoes and carrots in it, I add 2 - 3 cans of chopped or stewed tomatoes, 2 - 3 cans of corn and 2 - 3 cans of green beans. I then throw in some beef bouillon and water as needed and then stew it. After it has thawed I take out the meat and chop it up pretty fine, and then do the same with the potatoes.

It makes the heartiest yummiest stew.

From Shaena:
    Corn Chowder:

my favorite is my corn chowder. I also don't have a recipe for it.

I boil up about 5 new red potatoes. and one or two sweet potatoes cubed into manageable peices.

I use my biggest pot, and fry up about a quarter to a half pound of bacon. then I fry up some onion and celery in the grease until the onion is trancslucent. I crumble the bacon back in. amd add a large bag of frozen corn, and sometimes a can of creamed corn.
    I use 16 oz container of cream, half a bottle of beer is optional, but it does add good flavor, and fill the rest of the pot with milk.

fresh parsley, tarragon, paprika, salt and pepper. after it comes to a simmer I add flour to thicken.

it always tastes best the second day

From Ginabean:

Slow-Cooker Vegetable Soup (this is very good)

1 1lb. boneless round steak, cut into ½" cubes (I used stew meat)
    1 can (14 ½ oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
    3 cups water
    2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
    2 medium onions, diced
    3 celery ribs, sliced
    2 carrots, sliced
    3 beef bouillon cubes
    ½ tsp. dried basil
    ½ tsp. dried oregano
    ½ tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1 ½ cups frozen mixed vegetables (I used a whole bag)

In a slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and cook on
    high for 6 hours. Add vegetables; cover and cook on high 2 hours longer
    or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 8-10 servings
    (about 2 ½ quarts).