Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Purity Balls - pledging virginity to your father

Inactive Member

Question Purity Balls - pledging virginity to your father

Link To Story

It’s like a wedding but with a twist: Young women exchange rings, take vows and enjoy a first dance…with their dads. “Purity balls” are the next big thing in the save-it-till-marriage movement. Smart or scary?

Welcome to Colorado Springs’ Seventh Annual Father-Daughter Purity Ball, held at the five-star Broadmoor Hotel. The event’s purpose is, in part, to celebrate dad-daughter bonding, but the main agenda is for fathers to vow to protect the girls’ chastity until they marry and for the daughters to promise to stay pure. Pastor Randy Wilson, host of the event and cofounder of the ball, strides to the front of the room, takes the microphone and asks the men, “Are you ready to war for your daughters’ purity?”

*snip*

The majority of the girls here are, as purity ball guidelines suggest, “just old enough…to have begun menstruating….” But a couple dozen fathers have also brought girls under 10. “This evening is more about spending time with her than her purity at this point,” says one seven-year-old’s dad, a trifle sheepishly. The event is seemingly innocent—not once do I hear “sex” or “virgin” cross anyone’s lips. Still, every one of the girls here, even the four-year-old, will sign that purity covenant.

*snip*

“When you sign a pledge to your father to preserve your virginity, your sexuality is basically being taken away from you until you sign yet another contract, a marital one,” worries Eve Ensler, the writer and activist. “It makes you feel like you’re the least important person in the whole equation. It makes you feel invisible.”

I just took a few snippets out of the 7 page article. What are your thoughts on events like this ? Do you agree more with the Pastor .. or with Eve Ensler ?

Oooh, that is so freaky it made me shiver.

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical. Arthur C. Clark

First of all - a dance was not was I was picturing when I read 'virginity balls'.

Honestly, I find it a little creepy. My virginity never belonged to my father, tyvm.

Inactive Member
    I agree with Eve Ensler. If a girls wants to save herself for marriage, I say bully for her.. but it needs to be HER decision; not her daddys. The whole idea of this is creepy to me

Keeping it all together Alexandra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatnic View Post
    I agree with Eve Ensler. If a girls wants to save herself for marriage, I say bully for her.. but it needs to be HER decision; not her daddys. The whole idea of this is creepy to me

Yuck, yuck, yuck. That is just wrong, on so many levels.
    --Alex, to my friends

fineset in the shop fire of psyche's Avatar
    This is what the girl (ages as young as 6) say:

I pledge to remain sexually pure...until the day I give myself as a wedding gift to my husband. ... I know that God requires this of me.. that he loves me. and that he will reward me for my faithfulness.
    Here's what daddy-dearest says:

I, [daughter's name]'s father, choose before God to cover my daughter as her authority and protection in the area of purity. I will be pure in my own life as a man, husband and father. I will be a man of integrity and accountability as I lead, guide and pray over my daughter and as the high priest in my home. This covering will be used by God to influence generations to come.
    More:

http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2006_...37999061146139 (with pic link)
    http://feministing.com/archives/004966.html

And, hey, you can buy your own "purity princess survivor's kit":http://www.ceeceemichaela.com/store_...p?itemid=18272
    "Oh, I'm not missing your point. I think your point is STUPID." ~Minnie

Inactive Member
    God forbid a father actually be present and accountable in his daughter's life and concerned about her future well-being.

Inactive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
    God forbid a father actually be present and accountable in his daughter's life and concerned about her future well-being.
    Can't a father be present and accountable in his daughters life AND understand that once she becomes a woman decisions regarding her sexuality become her own .. not his, bound by signed documents ?

Forcing or guilting ones child into virginity isn't the only way to show concern for her "future well being" .

I think it's creepy.