Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Purity Balls - pledging virginity to your father

Quote Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
    God forbid a father actually be present and accountable in his daughter's life and concerned about her future well-being.
    Oh please. God forbid we have a debate around here without you blowing everything out of proportion.

I think it's great for fathers to be active in their daughter's lives and futures.
    I think getting 4yo's to sign a covenant is stupid and ineffective. Mine can barely write her name. Like she's going to hold herself accountable to that ten years from now.

Nail glue and make-up sharpeners in the survival kit? Mixed messages anyone? How about a couple of classics and a chemistry kit. Geek her all up and maybe she'll be less pursued.

I don't know why the picture is so small and now no one can read it. The pithy comment that adds insight to my otherwise anonymous online personality will forever go unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by fire of psyche View Post
    I, [daughter's name]'s father, choose before God to cover my daughter as her authority and protection in the area of purity. I will be pure in my own life as a man, husband and father. I will be a man of integrity and accountability as I lead, guide and pray over my daughter and as the high priest in my home. This covering will be used by God to influence generations to come.
    I wonder what happens if the father doesn't hold up to this. Is the deal off?

Mark me down for creepy. Although, I could see my husband having these conversations with his girls (and they have discussed some personal stuff like sex), but I don't think they'd be signing any pledges or contracts over it.

Creepy is the only word for this.

I also wonder if there's a ball for mothers and sons. Or is it only the girls that have to pledge their "purity".

God forbid a father actually be present and accountable in his daughter's life and concerned about her future well-being.
    So, without making this pledge and exchanging rings, a father isn't present in his daughter's life and isn't concerned for her well-being?

Huh.

Well, I remember going to Father/Daughter dances at my high school, which I really enjoyed. But taking vows and exchanging rings? Um, no. That's not something I'm interested in for my daughters.

It would be interesting to see how many girls who take that pledge don't participate in any sexual activity before marriage. I knew a few girls who thought themselves "pure" because they only had oral sex.
    Last edited by Ike; 01-22-2007 at 07:35 PM.
    Karen

Really? You care to prove that?
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...091500915.html

The findings on oral sex among teens are sure to stir debate over abstinence-only sex education. Supporters of such programs say they have resulted in young people delaying intercourse, but opponents say they also have led young people to substitute other behaviors, especially fellatio and cunnilingus. The new data tend to support this view, showing that nearly one in four virgin teens has engaged in oral sex.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...irginity_x.htm
    The latest fuss is spurred by new federal data that found that more than half of 15- to 19-year-olds have received or given oral sex. Although the study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention did not ask the particulars of these encounters, research conducted in pre-Clinton times, along with more recent studies, suggests that teens largely fall on the "it's not sex" side. (Related story: Teens define sex in new ways)

"Some adults say it is a form of sex, but kids don't really see it that way," says Natalie Fuller, 19, a sophomore at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa, Calif.

"For most teens, the only form of sex is penetration, and anything else doesn't count. You can have oral sex and be a virgin."

Fuller was 16 when she, her brother and her mother co-wrote the book Promise You Won't Freak Out, which includes discussion of teen oral sex.

The report released last month by the CDC shows that one-quarter of teens who have not had intercourse have had oral sex. The survey questions, administered via headphones and computer for maximum anonymity, clearly defined the actions to eliminate any ambiguity about the meaning of the term "oral sex."

"The implications are that teens who define themselves as abstinent may be engaging in oral sex," says Jennifer Manlove, a senior research associate with the non-profit group Child Trends, which analyzed the federal data.
    http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2005/...sex050404.html

"Adolescents also believed that oral sex is more acceptable than vaginal sex for adolescents their own age in both dating and non-dating situations, oral sex is less of a threat to their values and beliefs, and more of their peers will have oral sex than vaginal sex in the near future."

Ewwwwww.

fineset in the shop fire of psyche's Avatar
    As far as I know, there is no official ritual for mothers-sons like there is for fathers-daughters. Some places have done them independently, where a mother places a ring on her son's finger (a la a wedding) and pledges similarly. The young man then pledges himself to his mother.

Freud's ghost not mentioned but surely hanging out in the corner.
    "Oh, I'm not missing your point. I think your point is STUPID." ~Minnie

Tiny Heart - Big Nuggets TheChicken's Avatar
    Really? You care to prove that?
    Most of those who pledged virginity did have sex before marriage (and before the date of the study interview). Sixty-one percent of consistent pledgers, 79% of inconsistent pledgers, and 90% of all non-pledgers said on the questionnaire that they did have sex before marriage.

Among consistent pledgers, 13% reported having only oral sex with one or more partners but no vaginal sex -- compared with only 2% of non-pledgers. This is the source of the news reports that pledgers were six times as likely to have oral sex. Condoms were very seldom used in these relationships.
    http://www.aidsnews.org/2005/04/virginity-pledges.html

Oh, and thank you Sprock!

Sure you do.

What I find creepy is parents who don't do their jobs and never instill in their children the desire to stay pure until marriage.
    95% of people do not stay "pure" until marriage.

So, 95% of parents are failures, in your book?

"Adolescents also believed that oral sex is more acceptable than vaginal sex for adolescents their own age in both dating and non-dating situations, oral sex is less of a threat to their values and beliefs, and more of their peers will have oral sex than vaginal sex in the near future."
    Cue Clinton blame-o-matic.