Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here live in or know living in kind of information about Saskatoon?

I'm just here for the lulz. Sarsparilla's Avatar

Does anyone here live in or know living in kind of information about Saskatoon?

I have a friend whose husband is interviewing for a job there and she saw a stat that compared it to Detroit, MI in terms of crime.
    Welcome to Fluffytown. No smoking, no farting, no pillow fights.

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    I know Mimi lives in Saskatchewan somewhere, so hopefully she'll see this. The Detroit comparison seems a bit extreme, though!

Edit: here's a link to Statistics Canada's page about police-reported crime across the country in 2016. http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-.../54842-eng.htm
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

Also, here's a link to Saskatoon Police's annual report for 2015. I don't know the city's population offhand, but it's worth noting that in 2015, they only had seven homicides.

edit: population was just under 300,000 in 2016.
    -

Does anyone here live in or know living in kind of information about Saskatoon?

. No, it's not Detroit. It's a smallish prairie city, hours from anywhere other than another smallish prairie city (Regina).

The crime situation there is similar to the bigger prairie city I live in - related to poverty and drug use, in certain neighbourhoods. If you have a job and don't hang out in those neighbourhoods, you'll be safer than in a lot of places.

And it goes without saying that gun violence exists, but is not anything even remotely like in the US. I don't think that Americans that haven't lived in Canada can understand how different the two countries are on that topic. Lots of people have guns, especially in rural areas, but they're tools just like other tools, not a religion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In that Statscan link that I gave earlier, it says that there were just over 600 police-recorded homicides *in all of Canada* in 2016.
    -

I like saying Saskatoon.

Saskatooooooon

I don't consider Saskatoon particularly dangerous. I lived there for 2 years when I first left home. There are some areas that have a lot of poverty & drug use (just like Regina where I live) but as long as you don't hang out in those areas or participate in the drug lifestyle, it's fine.

It it used to be that the majority of homicides were stabbings (it still is) but there has been an increase in gun violence the last year or two (at least in our city). Now, having said that, there still isn't as much as I hear about in the U.S. In the country, most people have at least one firearm but they are mostly long rifles or shotguns used for hunting. Our regulations on handguns are pretty strict so there aren't the numbers of those around. Handgun owners have to have a restricted classification on their firearm license, undergo a background check & be a member of a gun range. (The only place they are allowed to be used). My son is a member of a pistol club & has a handgun so I know the hoops he had to go through to get it. It took about / weeks for the background check & authorization to go through. He works as an armed guard & already had gone through the authorization process for that & still took that long.

I'm just here for the lulz. Sarsparilla's Avatar
    Thanks for the good information. I'll pass it on to Kate.
    Welcome to Fluffytown. No smoking, no farting, no pillow fights.

Quote Originally Posted by GiftOfFlavor View Post
    I like saying Saskatoon.

Saskatooooooon
    You're saying it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Nansel View Post
    . No, it's not Detroit. It's a smallish prairie city, hours from anywhere other than another smallish prairie city (Regina).

The crime situation there is similar to the bigger prairie city I live in - related to poverty and drug use, in certain neighbourhoods. If you have a job and don't hang out in those neighbourhoods, you'll be safer than in a lot of places.

And it goes without saying that gun violence exists, but is not anything even remotely like in the US. I don't think that Americans that haven't lived in Canada can understand how different the two countries are on that topic. Lots of people have guns, especially in rural areas, but they're tools just like other tools, not a religion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That sounds like how I view Saskatoon. We stayed there in 2006 when dd was playing ball at the nationals. I found it to be generally a nice city. There were sketchy areas, to be sure, but we simply avoided them. I LOVED the airport. It was the first time dd had flown alone and we drove there to pick her up. It was so small and convenient! To see her coming through the airport really made us feel like she was an adult.

We stayed at Chaplin Bed & Breakfast just 10 minutes from Saskatoon, out in the country and can't say enough nice things about it! Ron & Kathy Chaplin are the hosts. If your friend needs a wonderful place to stay while checking things out I'd highly recommend. Beats any hotel by a mile. Lovely owners. http://www.chaplinfarm.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GiftOfFlavor View Post
    I like saying Saskatoon.

Saskatooooooon
    Every single time I hear Saskatoon, I get The Guess Who singing "Running Back to Saskatoon" stuck in my head! Good thing I'm a Guess Who fan!
    I can't think of anything witty to say for my signature line.