Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A pay raise or great perks and benefits?

Show me the money.

I already get more paid vacation time than I can use (because I don't get coverage) and I already have extended health and dental benefits.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

Pay raise - that impacts my retirement plan and Social Security.

Well, I'm only staying because of the benefits so.... yeah, it makes a huge difference to me.

A pay raise or great perks and benefits?

Money. My healthcare is covered no matter my job situation, and Dh already has extended health benefits (dental, glasses, prescriptions) that we hardly use.

The "frilly" benefits they mention in the OP like fitness plans are of zero interest to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    Pay raise. It's awful how the price of healthcare has skyrocketed to p
    the point that people are willing to give up so much to keep an overpriced service that covers less and less.
    My wife is like this, she always says her health care benefits are great which they are but she needs to have her lifestyle subsidized by my paycheck
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Premier Sponsor
    Historically teachers unions agreed to give up pay raises in exchange for sweet benefits packages. Then our governor took away our bennies without a corresponding pay increase. A lot of teachers saw their take home pay decrease by $5000 per year.

I'd take the raise because I learned the hard way it is easier for employers to take back benefits than to take back raises.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

Quote Originally Posted by Nansel View Post
    Money. My healthcare is covered no matter my job situation, and Dh already has extended health benefits (dental, glasses, prescriptions) that we hardly use.

The "frilly" benefits they mention in the OP like fitness plans are of zero interest to me.

I wouldn't mind an additional week off but overall I'd opt for more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamapalooza View Post
    Show me the money.

I already get more paid vacation time than I can use (because I don't get coverage) and I already have extended health and dental benefits.
    Are you saying they give you vacation that you can't take because you have no back up? Because that's not cool (and probably not legal). I don't really have backup (I have a woman who can do my job but I only ask her to do urgent stuff).

As an employer I'd rather give benefits (tax deductible) than pay that I have to pay payroll taxes on.

Where we are now financially, benefits would be worth more than extra $, if those benefits actually improved our QOL. More vacation time (and the expectation that people would actually be allowed to use it all), flexible hours, no work expectations during non-work hours--those things would be meaningful and worth giving up a raise for. Free food, chair massages during lunch and a fitness plan? Probably not, given that saving $6 a day on lunch would only equal about $1500, and that's if one ate the free lunch every day.