Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida may pursue felony charges against people who abandoned their animals

Florida may pursue felony charges against people who abandoned their animals

Authorities in south Florida may pursue felony charges against people who abandoned their animals as Hurricane Irma approached the Florida peninsula.
    Palm Beach County Animal Care and Control director Dianne Sauve said the agency recovered roughly 40 dogs in the days before Irma made landfall in Florida. Some were tied up, others were in pens or in enclosed yards, unable to escape.
    She said such abandonment is one of the worst things someone can do to their pet, saying "There is absolutely no excuse for doing that."

On Sunday morning, the Florida Department of Public Health reiterated the dangers posed when pets are abandoned during a storm.

Follow

Florida Dept. Health
    @HealthyFla

Do not leave your dogs tied up or chained when evacuating. Floodwaters are dangerous for people & pets. #Irma#FLprepares
    8:00 AM - Sep 10, 2017

Sauve said the agency will pursue felony animal cruelty charges if they are able to gather enough evidence and find and identify a pet's owners, which can be difficult.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...own/651030001/
    We will be moving to the new forum on November 1st.
    Be sure to register.

http://webegtodiffer.boards.net/

I'm OK with this. Leaving a pet tied up or unable to escape is beyond the pale....
    Be sure to register.

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar

Florida may pursue felony charges against people who abandoned their animals

Sometimes people do not think of what to do with their pets when they have to evacuate. I think a lot was learned after Katrina I wonder if shelters are prepared for people with pets
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

I know that hotels aren't allowed to turn away pets in a situation like this (lessons learned from Katerina) but I don't know about shelters. Not everyone has the funds to go to a hotel. I like to think the best of people and I can only assume that they made the only decision that they thought was available to them.

I can (almost) understand leaving them behind (but just barely).

Leaving them tied up or in a pen with no chance to escape? No. (and UGH)
    Be sure to register.

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    I like to think the best of people and I can only assume that they made the only decision that they thought was available to them.
    I wish I could be so optimistic. I really think some people just don't care that much
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

I heard that during Harvey a lot of shelters have outdoor pens due to the climate and that they were euthanizing animals in large numbers prior to evacuation (again lessons learned from Katrina), but that some of those animals were left behind in open outdoor pens to await their fate . I can't imagine the heartbreak they went through doing that

Quote Originally Posted by stellarfeller View Post
    I wish I could be so optimistic. I really think some people just don't care that much
    I agree, there are people that do cruel and thoughtless things to their pets all the time so it's not surprising that this happened in an emergency situation.

I get that people may have felt that they have no choice but the ones that left their animals tied up or in a kennel should be charged for sure, if they let their pets go free they could have had a fighting chance. Leaving them tied to a tree with no way to save themselves is disgusting and the thought of what those poor animals went through makes me sick.

No groundhogs; just prairie dogs RobinAnn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    I can (almost) understand leaving them behind (but just barely).

Leaving them tied up or in a pen with no chance to escape? No. (and UGH)
    This.

I don't understand cruelty to any living thing let alone a helpless pet. I have never been in a situation of having to evacuate but I can't imagine deciding to leave a dog tied up or in a cage to slowly drown.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk