Thread: Congress Passes AntiWhite-Supremacist Resolution, But Itís Unclear If Trump Will Sign

Congress Passes AntiWhite-Supremacist Resolution, But Itís Unclear If Trump Will Sign

After the violent white-nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, last month, many Republican lawmakers condemned white supremacists and neo-Nazi groups, but they stopped short of criticizing President Trump by name when he failed to do the same.
    President Trump dragged out the controversy, reading a statement criticizing the ďKKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists and other hate groups,Ē then spending the next few days making it clear he resented being forced to do so. The next day, he declared in an erratic press conference that there were some ďvery fine peopleĒ among the crowd chanting ďJews will not replace us,Ē and at a rally a week later he cast himself as the victim of dishonest journalists.

House Democrats responded by introducing a resolution to censure Trump, and many supported the move. ďThis is a moment of reckoning for members of the Party of Lincoln: Do they want to stand up for American values, or do they want to keep enabling a president whose understanding of right and wrong has slipped dangerously off the rails?Ē wrote USA Todayís editorial board.

However, House Speaker Paul Ryan made it clear that he considered censure too extreme, though itís just an official rebuke from Congress with no real consequences. During a CNN town hall Ryan said Trump ďmessed up,Ē but censuring him would ďdescend this issue into some partisan hack-fest.Ē He did not explain why he assumed Republicans wouldnít get behind formally criticizing Trumpís Charlottesville response.

Now, three weeks later, Congress has unanimously passed a resolution that condemns white supremacy and calls on the Trump administration to do more. The measure, which passed in the Senate on Monday and in the House on Tuesday, was purposely introduced as a joint resolution, which requires the presidentís signature, rather than a concurrent resolution, which does not.

But lest anyone think that this is a bold stand against Trump by congressional Republicans, the Washington Post reports that House Republicans objected to Democratic language that would have criticized the presidentís response.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...esolution.html
    We will be moving to the new forum on November 1st.
    Be sure to register.

http://webegtodiffer.boards.net/

Will he sign it? Should he?

What good does it really do?
    Be sure to register.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    Will he sign it? Should he?

What good does it really do?
    Probably. Yes. It clearly indicates that white supremacists, the KKK and neo-Nazis are not tolerated and that they should be treated like other terror groups. I don't think it takes a lot of political courage to say we hate them. But, it's fine right now to be clear that they are not part of any mainstream.

Be sure to register.

Unrelentingly Oppositional Andrea's Avatar
    Not surprising at all.

Is anyone really shocked by this?

Now enough with the dog and pony show, how about Congress get to work.

"When politics becomes a religion, then simple disagreements become apostasies, heresies. And you know what we do with heretics." -- Peggy Noonan

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    That's it folks racism is officially over
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post
    That's it folks racism is officially over
    I thought ended when we elected Obama ;)