Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: White Christians now less than half of U.S. population

So the white Christian way of life/culture is being threatened :rafm

Religion is treated differently in Canada - it's not as big a thing for the most part. I remember being floored when Deb moved to Utah and her kids were being asked what church they go to. That is just not a thing here. Obviously we have religious people - some deeply so - and I'm sure there are pockets of the country where it matters to people what church one goes to - but it hasn't been my experience in Ontario (either rural or urban).

My niece is very religious - she's not a beat you over the head with it kind but it's a huge part of who she is. Her wedding a few weeks ago was probably the most religious wedding I've ever been to - where you don't feel like the scripture is just kind of slapped on to the ceremony. I even heard some of her friends saying they were skipping the brunch the next morning because they missed church the previous weekend for a different wedding and didn't want to miss church two weeks in a row. I'm pretty sure I made this face .

As for the question ds has two best friends - since grade 7. One is Muslim and one is Jewish - they are both practicing but I don't know how devout they/their families are.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    One is Muslim and one is Jewish - they are both practicing but I don't know how devout they/their families are.
    Do they eat food at your house? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    Do they eat food at your house? ;)
    No! Thank goodness. They live really close to each other and ds is the outlier who lives far away so he always goes to them. And they always get cheese pizza when they get group food .

ETA I would be happy to have them over - but I would probably just order pizza too - my house is not set up for those kind of dietary restrictions

They order pizza from a restaurant? Is the restaurant under rabbinical supervision or certified halal? If the restaurant also serves pizza with meat, then it is not.

In other words, they aren't Orthodox or devout Muslims. ;)

I don't think they're super devout no. The cheese pizza is actually to satisfy the no meat and dairy rule of the Jewish household. I think they just get it from Pizza Pizza . So they do the no meat and dairy thing but I don't think they go as far as having two fridges. I know the mozzarella cheese at Pizza Pizza is halal.

My grandparents had 2 kitchens lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    The cheese pizza is actually to satisfy the no meat and dairy rule of the Jewish household.
    Do you really want to debate kashrut laws with me? Observant Orthodox Jews don't get food from restaurants that aren't under rabbinical supervision. Conservative are more liberal with non meat food. Reform movement keeps changing its mind.

Quote Originally Posted by GiftOfFlavor View Post
    My grandparents had 2 kitchens lol
    Two separate kitchens? wow.

Oh I wasn't trying to debate - just saying how they manage food in their house . I don't think they're very orthodox at all. His Bar MITZVAH was at a Pickle Barrel after all

I was just goofing around ;)

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    Do you really want to debate kashrut laws with me? Observant Orthodox Jews don't get food from restaurants that aren't under rabbinical supervision. Conservative are more liberal with non meat food. Reform movement keeps changing its mind.

Two separate kitchens? wow.
    Great Grandpa was a very orthodox Rabbi.
    He was offered a partnership in a Kosher Food company back in the day. He declined the offer because their practices "weren't kosher ebough" for him.
    That company is now Best Kosher.
    I should be the Best Kosher heiress.
    But I'm not