Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you feel?

If you bring the monkey, I'm leaving puppylove's Avatar
    On my 33 acres in Virginia! (Thank you Sars for the reminder) ;)

How would you feel?

If your son (25) was dating someone 13 years older? Both financially secure. Neither married before. Seem to like each other quite a bit.

(Not my son lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Donna- People first. Dogs second. Things last.

http://countdowntoasimplerlife.blogspot.com

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    All right by me. If he's happy, and his partner treats him well and seems like a decent person, it's all good!
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

I think it would bother me on some level. I like the idea of my son being with someone his own age(ish) and growing together in a relationship and experiencing things for the first time, together.

But ultimately, I would mind my own business

The same as I'd feel about my 25 year old daughter dating a 38 year old man in the same situation.

I think that being in the same stage of life is more important than age. I'd be concerned if the older person was divorced with kids and assorted major baggage and the younger was single/never married and therefore didn't have the same sort of life experience as the other person.

That said, my sister was 34 and her boyfriend was 19 when they started dating. She was divorced with 17 and 14 year old children, he was single/never married. His parents were pissed! My parents rolled their eyes (as did I, my sister has made a lot of...interesting choices in life) They've been together for 20 years now, married for 14 of them. So you never know!

I would be quite concerned if it seemed to be going somewhere. 25 and 38 are very different life stages, and I wouldn't want him to throw away his opportunity to have children.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Chalmers View Post
    I would be quite concerned if it seemed to be going somewhere. 25 and 38 are very different life stages, and I wouldn't want him to throw away his opportunity to have children.

Since I started dating my current husband at 26 when he was 37, I'd be okay with it. We've been married for almost 25 years. 25 is plenty mature enough to decide if a particular partner is a fit for you.

Yes, conversations like children should happen hopefully before the relationship became serious, and we had those which is why we only had one child together, but that should happen for any couple. I know more and more 20-somethings that are choosing to be childfree by choice.

I'd be more concerned about a 25 year old man with a 38 year old woman than the reverse. Many 25 year olds think that having children isn't important and change their minds later. A 30 year old woman can usually have children with her 43 year old husband. A 30 year old man with a 43 year old wife cannot. That's a big thing to give up when maybe not truly old enough to do so.

Being 25 isn't considered truly old enough to decide that? When would be old enough?

They're both old enough to work through that themselves. It depends so much on the individuals.

It's also part of the plot of the TV series Younger.