Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How would you feel?

I would be concerned but try to withhold judgement until I got to know her.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Premier Sponsor
    I'd pretend I was okay with it. I will say I dated a guy 10 years younger then me for a couple months. I was 48 & he was 38.....it was fun & helped my self esteem. He did mention once that he would be open to having more kids....I giggled & knew for a fact we were never going to be long term. Rumor has it he's engaged to a girl closer to his age. I'm betting money a baby announcement is not far off :)

i should add I also dated a guy 12 years older then me too. That had some challenges as well ;)
    Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here, we might as well dance!

Quote Originally Posted by purplekitty View Post
    Being 25 isn't considered truly old enough to decide that? When would be old enough?
    I'd be far more cool with it at 35.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Chalmers View Post
    I'd be far more cool with it at 35.
    Huh. That seems extreme. I think people are capable of figuring out their desired life path far sooner than that.

I'd be a little concerned, but I would probably keep it to myself. 25 year old brains aren't fully developed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by purplekitty View Post
    Huh. That seems extreme. I think people are capable of figuring out their desired life path far sooner than that.
    As Mo said, the 25 year old brain isn't quite done yet. And people can choose a life path and then change their minds. It happens, and happens often. I'd be concerned if my kid was choosing something that would make it very difficult to change his or her mind later on.

I would love to be wrong. Yogagirl's Avatar
    I think its a pretty rare 25 year old that has determined their life path with any certainty. In my house, even my most together kid is undecided about marriage and kids and she's 26. That being said I would keep my mouth shut. If things started looking serious I may cautiously voice some concerns,

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Chalmers View Post
    As Mo said, the 25 year old brain isn't quite done yet. And people can choose a life path and then change their minds. It happens, and happens often. I'd be concerned if my kid was choosing something that would make it very difficult to change his or her mind later on.
    Really? I think we continue to raise this age and infantilize people. There are all sorts of life decisions that 20-somethings make that become more difficult to change as they get older. IMHO, it's a little insulting to not think they're capable of making their own life choices at 25. People are, generally speaking, plenty mature enough to know what they want or do not want at that age.

Not to mention, the current science says that the brain isn't fully developed UNTIL 25. Not that it's not quite done yet.

I would love to know what a childfree by choice person on this board thinks about this. Because if I remember correctly, they knew they didn't want children in their 20s, and they've said they've been insulted by people telling them they still have time to change their minds. ;)

I don't think it has anything to do with being capable. The question posed is "how would you feel?".

I wouldn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with being capable. The question posed is "how would you feel?".

I wouldn't like it.
    If your child is capable of making the decision, why wouldn't you like it? Don't you have a large age difference with your husband?