Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Labor Day) Monday!

(Labor Day) Monday!

Good morning!
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

This is supposed to be our last summerish day, alas. We're going to take a walk, and then get back to work.

Dh has more pressure washing to do on the porch. This is a bigger project than he had realized, which is why I had urged him to get started early in the summer, which obviously he didn't, because I had looked up what needed to get done and he hadn't. It certainly has made a mess, which I suppose is a good reason to do it while the front yard is already a mess from the driveway.

I'm going to do laundry and vacuum, and a little paperwork.

dinner - burgers
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    Last day of summer holidays I'm always melancholy this weekend, because I like having my kids home! And also because I don't want to start getting up at 5.45 am again

I'm a bit annoyed, because my son Richard's class has a new teaching team this year (he's had the same team for the past two years), and I was hoping that they would send an introductory e-mail, or even invite us in for a personal introduction this past week, but we heard nothing from them. It's not as if he's in a big class either - there's five or six other students - but I guess I should slow my roll until we see how the first few days goes. His previous teachers were so wonderful that I have high expectations of his new teachers, and will be disappointed if they don't measure up! (And yes, I know maybe my expectations are too high )
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

We are continuing our adventures in potty training today while DH and I are both home. And I'll be doing school with the girls.

Projections for Irma have shifted west a bit; another shift like that could have it coming here, and there's still time for that to happen. I just confirmed with my mom that we're welcome to go to their house (they won't be there, but I have a key) if Irma heads for ours.

After 12 days, dh and I finally made it home last night! We had a nice vacation, but I'm happy to be back home.

I did some unpacking last night, but I have to finish today. Lots of laundry to do. The house is still clean from when we left. I'm not sure what happened, but the memory card got stuck in my camera. I was worried about my vacation pictures being lost, but I was able to hook up the camera directly to my laptop and transfer the pictures. So I'll spend some time going through those today and posting some to FB. I'll try not to post too many.

Back to work tomorrow.

Sitting on the couch eating bon bons! Eli's Avatar
    Peachy, your trip looked like a lot of fun. Can't wait to see more.

I cleaned yesterday and put fresh sheets and blankets on the bed, so naturally Bellebelle puked up a massive hairball around 2:30am. I just cleaned up the mess and went back to sleep. Needless to say, sheets and blanket are back in the wash today.

Need to do some laundry and vacuuming. I also need to load up my car with my school stuff.

Back to the 5am wake up call tomorrow!

Sunny and warm here. The weather for the next 10 days is sunny 88/68. Which I love.

I need to do some laundry and pick my sister up at the airport. Other than that...just a lazy day.

Friday I fly to Philly for my weekend and lady gaga concert with my ds.

Just hanging out, doing housework. Working on canning ketchup, peaches, jelly, and fermenting sauerkraut.

We're pulling the trigger on dh quitting outside work and being a full time farmer. We don't yet have livestock aside from the chickens, but there is SO much work to be done before we get to that point, that we're never going to be able to do with him working 60 hour weeks. Part of me would love to do it myself, but he's more physically and mechanically capable, and I make just over twice per hour what he does. Meanwhile I'm going crazy because he's gone all the time, the kid works full time and is in college classes full time, so I'm frantically trying to get ALL THE THINGS done on my days off. It's not working. So we're to the point of "fuck it, let's do this."

He puts in his notice tomorrow and both of us are nervous as hell. lol. It's a bit of a financial cliff, but I certainly make enough to meet our needs and some wants, and if we need more for a project it's easier for me to pick up a shift when I know things are taken care of at home.

And Knut is going to be the happiest puppy in the world.

If you bring the monkey, I'm leaving puppylove's Avatar
    On my 33 acres in Virginia! (Thank you Sars for the reminder) ;)
    AC, we have 2 part time helpers (30 hours weekly each) and me home full-time (well, I do 3 markets and my CSA) and we still can't get it all done. I can't imagine with us both working full-time outside of the home trying to get ANYTHING done.
    -Donna- People first. Dogs second. Things last.

http://countdowntoasimplerlife.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by puppylove View Post
    AC, we have 2 part time helpers (30 hours weekly each) and me home full-time (well, I do 3 markets and my CSA) and we still can't get it all done. I can't imagine with us both working full-time outside of the home trying to get ANYTHING done.
    Thank you for that!

It's just been insane. We've realized lately that we're not much enjoying life and not enjoying the farm, and what's the point? I race home after a 12 hour shift to do chores, and Stephen literally never knows when he'll be done with work. The other piece is that he works by himself in the shop from 4 pm until whenever he is done. The shop is in the middle of nowhere. I've been a trauma nurse for too damn long to be okay with that.

Last night we laid in the hammock together and talked about how we've had the hammock for a month and that's the first time we've done that. We're just constantly going. We'd rather tighten our belts financially and have time together and make progress on the farm, because otherwise we may as well have stayed in the city.
    The other huge bonus is that Stephen is forever working in our shop and realizing that the tool he needs is at work, so he'll be happy to have all his gear at home!