Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hug a teacher!

Hug a teacher!

My blog - A Northern Life

My only complaint is annual "mystery supply"; the one that's on the list and no one has. Not Target, not Amazon, not Staples, not OfficeMax, not CVS, no one. I'd buy it if it existed. Honest.

But, those days are officially over for me. TYVM.

Sitting on the couch eating bon bons! Eli's Avatar
    I see both sides of this. I don't ask my families for specific colored folders or notebooks or get fussy about brands. However, Ticonderoga pencils sharpen better and last longer. Same with Crayola crayons. That's why I buy them and provide them for my class. I do ask parents to bring two boxes of tissues because I can guarantee you, your kid is going to use his/her fair share.

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post

My only complaint is annual "mystery supply"; the one that's on the list and no one has. Not Target, not Amazon, not Staples, not OfficeMax, not CVS, no one. I'd buy it if it existed. Honest.

But, those days are officially over for me. TYVM.
    There was one teacher at ds' elementary school who insisted on purple duotangs for her class. Have you ever tried to find a purple duotang? I get why some teachers like specific colours for specific subjects - but she wasn't a classroom teacher - she taught French - it shouldn't have mattered to her - she just really really really likes purple.

I used to hate it when the supply list would call for specific colors that just do NOT exist. And why in God's name can they not make it so there is always a matching set of colors for spiral notebooks and folders??? It never failed, I'd try and get sets so the navy blue spiral could go with the navy blue folder but nooooo, there was no navy blue folder. I really think it was all a plot to drive me insane...

I haven't shopped for school supplies in years, except for a backpack. I just hand over a bunch of money in September and the school provides it all.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

Every year I thank the school supply God's, as in my town we do not have to provide a thing except for boxes of tissues if we want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaena View Post
    Every year I thank the school supply God's, as in my town we do not have to provide a thing except for boxes of tissues if we want to.
    I should say that 99.9% of the teachers ds had were reasonable. The school put together a general list for grade level which included two boxes of kleenex and then the teacher would have a list saying X number of duotangs/binders, etc - but there was that one teacher and the goddamned purple duotangs

I can't remember what grade dd was in when we couldn't find specific color of folder that was requested. Probably 4th grade; that teacher was nuts. Anyway, I ended up buying a different color folder and just writing "PURPLE" on the front of it, or whatever color it was that we couldn't find at the time.

This woman is my hero. LOL
    Our K team has a supply list that we all collaborate on. It has a few items that *I* personally didn't have a use for, composition books in particular. So, I found an interactive math journal I want to do, and will use them for that. There are also supplies that weren't on the list, that I do ask parents to help contribute, if they can, coffee filters are one of them. Someone screen shotted one of my parents from last year complaining on Facebook about the coffee filters that her child's "crazy teacher asked for", asking if she should have to buy those for our break room... 1. I don't drink coffee, 2. We don't have a break room, 3. Our school does not provide coffee, and 4. the coffee filters are for snack "bowls" for the snack *I* primarily provide for your student. That parent was a real piece of work, so I didn't let her get to me, but come on.

Oh, and anybody who wonders why early childhood teachers ask for so many glue sticks need to come spend a day in pre-k or K, LOL. I actually use glue sponges now, they are life-changing!