Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Work dress codes

We don't have a dress code. For example, this morning I realized I forgot to wash my nicer shirts this weekend so I'm wearing denim capris and a t shirt from the Aquarium of the Smokies I usually don't like to wear t shirts to work unless it's my half day but I didn't have much of a choice this morning. My boss wears shorts and polo shirts all summer long and he never says anything about what we wear. He might compliment us if we dress nicer but he never says anything bad about what we wear, even when I wear my ripped capris.
    Kim

There's a boy here in town says he'll love me forever
    Who would have thought forever could be severed by
    The sharp knife of a short life
    ~The Band Perry

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    We have a dress code but it seems like following it is optional or our manager isn't big on enforcing it.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

I would love to be wrong. Yogagirl's Avatar
    When I was in the office it was initially business casual. I typically wore slacks, a nice top and a cardigan. it was always fucking freezing. On Fridays we could wear jeans. Then they went to "Dress for Your Day" which meant you could go much more casual unless you had meetings with vendors or customers or the big bosses. Then I went to a home office and my uniform became my yoga pants that have a hole in the crotch and a t shirt with bleach stains. I have started trying to make myself more presentable during the day.

I'm in my pajamas. :) I would usually have regular clothes on by now (capris and a tshirt) but I am cleaning so lazy clothes it is.

From our personnel policy.

XYZ does not have a formal written dress code. The Firm’s goal is to portray a professional image rather than have a casual dress atmosphere. Accordingly, employees dress should be consistent with this. Attire such as blue jeans, sweat pants, yoga pants, casual t-shirts, shirts allowing midriff or bra straps to show, running shoes (with the exception of Central Services), and beach style flip flops are examples of inappropriate office attire. If you are unsure if your attire is appropriate you should consult the HR Manager or CEO.

Approximately once per month the Firm has a Casual Dress day (e.g. Jeans day to raise funds for a particular charity). Notification of these days goes out to everyone in advance by email. Employees should take care on these days to ensure their attire continues to be professional. Examples of appropriate casual office attire: neat and clean jeans, dress shirts/blouses, blazers. Examples of inappropriate casual office attire: torn jeans, t-shirts, sweat shirts, tank tops.
    Once in awhile someone (usually a newb) pushes the envelope and then a reminder email goes out. That said, I do wear beach style flip flops half the year and no one has said anything to me. Another staff member got told to change her shoes (similar style to mine) because the way she walks made them incredibly noisy and annoying. FLOP FLOP FLOP I told her, keep your heels down and no one will care.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

Quote Originally Posted by Andee View Post
    I'm in my pajamas. :) I would usually have regular clothes on by now (capris and a tshirt) but I am cleaning so lazy clothes it is.
    I don't put on real clothes unless I am leaving the house.

I'm sure we have a dress code that is business casual but its not enforced.
    I wear whatever I want, but I dress nicely most of the time, anyways
    We will be moving to the new forum on November 1st.
    Be sure to register.

http://webegtodiffer.boards.net/

Men have to wear white shirts with dress pants/shoes and ties and at least have a suit coat to put on for meetings. Women have to wear a skirt or dress pants and a nice shirt. It can be sleeveless but has to cover the whole shoulder. Shoes can have a peep toe but can't be full on strappy sandals or anything like that. Fridays are business casual for everyone.

Now, I have seen men in meetings without a suit coat on and I've seen some women, especially the younger ones, dressed like they're going clubbing straight after work. I normally wear dress pants, a nice shirt and a blazer or cardigan. The blazer or cardigan is mostly so I don't freeze to death, they keep it like a beer cooler there. I wear flats or wedge heels. I can't do full on heels at this point, my feet would be killing me in about 10 seconds flat.

I've been told we look like a bunch of lawyer walking around.

Melts in Your Mouth -- srsly! M&M's Avatar
    I work at a local private university. When I started 30 years ago, there was a dress code. It was basically business casual, with "spirit day" on Fridays, where employees may wear jeans and either university colors, or university t-shirts. It was never enforced and has relaxed quite a bit over the years, if not faded away completely. In fact, I went to the online policy manual to see if I could find a dress code listed, and didn't find it. Dress seems to be all over the map on campus, from ultra-casual to ultra conservative, depending on the job title and the circumstances/event.

Personally, Mondays-Thursdays during the academic year, I wear slacks and nicer blouses. If we have an event that calls for it, I will wear a dress or more formal slacks and blouse. On Fridays, I wear jeans and a university t-shirt. During the summer I tend to dress more casual, but still in nice capris and tops most days.

Jumpin' Jack Flash-----------------------------------------------George Michael McKitty

Quote Originally Posted by coachgrrl View Post
    S/O of the school dress code.

What is the dress code at your job (or former job)?

What is your personal job dress code? IS there a difference?
    Business casual. Which means everything and nothing.

People I work with mostly dress appropriately. My boss is an outlier, she is a thrift store shopper and has no sense of what to wear to work. She dresses up for meetings, but usually in suits that were in style 30-40 or so years ago. She usually wears white socks and black sneakers and I've never seen her wear pants.

We have two young men in the office who are very sharp dressers.