Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Work dress codes

Work dress codes

S/O of the school dress code.

What is the dress code at your job (or former job)?

What is your personal job dress code? IS there a difference?

For me:

Hospital - branded scrubs (that have my hospitals name embroidered). I have no problem with wearing navy scrubs (doesn't show a lot of stains ) But I hate the branding. I was told in orientation that we also were not allowed to purchase liquor or be seen drinking in them. Not that I would do that...but...what?? I want to pick up a bottle of wine on my way home, and can't???

Office- business casual. Although our ceo wears nicer jeans and flip flips. It's taken me 3 months but I've finally caved to wear my nicer jeans and she complemented me on them so on that.

Off limits- logo shirts, anything showing my underwear (not that I would wear anyway) and ripped pants ("distressed")

Thankfully, it's very casual. My shoulders have to be covered, no distressed/ ripped jeans, shorts at least finger tip length. I do tend to do dressy casual, though.

I work in a school, so it isn't "professional" in the sense that we have to wear suits, but it is definitely dressier than the last school where I worked. Dresses, skirts, tailored trousers, etc. The men wear button-down shirts/dress slacks and have to wear ties from Oct - Mar to correspond to the winter uniform of the high school students (the school goes from age 3 - 18).

It's BEN and Jerry, not GWEN and Jerry! Catamount's Avatar
    There's probably a formal dress code, but I've never been informed of it. I tend to wear jeans and sneakers so I can move easily. I spend a lot of my day in PE class, lifting kids, and / or crawling around on the floor. If I have a meeting with a parent, I'll dress up a bit, but often that means a nicer shirt, some jewelry with a magnetic clasp, nicer jeans, and some actual shoes that are still sturdy enough to be safe the rest of the day.
    "Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there.'"

I homeschool my kids. My dress code is pajamas.

DH's job is business casual. I have slowly been buying him things like more stylish jeans and khakis other than those found at Target. Whenever he wears something I got, he gets compliments. He is starting to come around.

I have to wear scrubs. They supply us with one set a year. My department's colour is purple.

At my old office job, the dress code was oddly long and detailed for an adult environment, IMO. Like there was a multi-paragraph description of what exactly it meant to be professional while wearing leggings -like that they have to be paired with tunic or dress, and be "part of an ensemble", and it included yes and no pictures even.

Seriously people, be an adult with some class and we'll all be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I started it was business casual, but a few years ago we got a new boss who didn't understand why we needed to wear business casual (especially when none of the men in the department were ever held to that standard) so the dress code got thrown out the window. Although I did raise my eyebrow when one of my coworkers wore work out pants and a branded sweatshirt .

Thankfully the sales department followed suit about a year ago because I'm in that department now and I couldn't afford a new wardrobe . Essentially a couple of new men were hired who gave zero fucks and then everyone else said screw it so the policy was revisited. Apparently an email went around showing what the new dress code would look like for men vs women and the women were pissed because they were being held to a higher standard.

My boss (male) wears shorts to work . That strikes me as a little unprofessional for a Director .

In the winter I wear jeans and a sweater usually (with my "dress" Vans :snort). And in the summer I usually wear pants and a blouse (with my summer "work" Chuck Taylors).

Quote Originally Posted by Nansel View Post
    I have to wear scrubs. They supply us with one set a year. My department's colour is purple.

One set?? Can you buy more on your own or do you have to wash that one set every night?

My employer requires dressier pants or khakis. No Tshirts or workout type clothes. Business casual. Closed toe shoes and cannot be sleeveless.

The customer I work at almost exclusively is very casual. Most people wear jeans. Some push the envelope and wear flip flops and ripped jeans. Most people wear Tshirts or other gear with beer logos of the brands the company makes.

I compromise by wearing nicer jeans (not faded) and the same kind of tops I wear to the office. I usually wear a hoodie type jacket because of the A/C. If I'm going to the office, I swap out the jeans and wear a cardigan instead of a hoodie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk