Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This school dress code might be revolutionary...

Premier Sponsor

This school dress code might be revolutionary...

Imagine this: a dress code which specifically prohibits shaming students due to body type/size or saying a student's clothing is a distraction to others!

“Students should not be shamed or required to display their bodies in front of others (students, parents or staff) in school,” the policy reads. “Shaming includes, but is not limited to … accusing students of ‘distracting’ other students with their clothing.”

"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

Amazing!

That is awesome.

I'm not OK with body shaming anyone, but I am OK with dress codes. Even adults are not permitted to wear whatever they want at work.

I work at a customer's site that is really lax on the dress code, and I have cringed at what some people wear. My company has a stricter dress code than the customer's site, and we push the buttons of our boss by wearing jeans at the customer's when they are prohibited at the office. He's decided not to fight that battle anymore. ;) However, we still haven't crossed the boundaries of flip flops and ripped up jeans (seen last week).

I do think a school should definitely be more lax than a place of business, but telling kids they can't wear clothes with body parts showing or undergarments exposed is not body shaming, IMO. It's not about weight or body type.

Premier Sponsor
    I'd take this school's attitude any day over the principal at another school who made the news this week for telling her students, "If you aten't a size 0 or 2, tight clothes make you look fat."

I don't want to see anybody's underwear. I am surprised at how often that's a problem.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

Premier Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by RealCranky View Post
    I don't want to see anybody's underwear. I am surprised at how often that's a problem.
    I subbed in study hall and lunch room for a nearby high school for a day a while back. I learned way more about the underwear of boys from that school than I ever wanted to know.

I do think a school should definitely be more lax than a place of business, but telling kids they can't wear clothes with body parts showing or undergarments exposed is not body shaming, IMO. It's not about weight or body type.
    I agree with this and will add in no clothing with curse words. I was at the football game last night, and saw at least 3 people wearing shirts with the F word printed largely on them... these weren't kids, but adults who really should know much better. So, my dress code rules are really more universal than just school kids, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    Even adults are not permitted to wear whatever they want at work.
    I have always wondered about this sentiment. I get the thinking behind the notion that school is practice work and so kids should get used to dressing in a way that is acceptable in a place of work. But when I went to college the students there were dressed in all sorts of non-work-acceptable clothing, and, still, somehow managed to figure out how to dress appropriately when they went to work. So, I am not thinking school dress codes are an apples to apples comparison to workplace dresscodes.
    If you are not willing to fall flat on your face, then the only thing you will have is a pretty face.

Premier Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by deeniereenie View Post
    I agree with this and will add in no clothing with curse words. I was at the football game last night, and saw at least 3 people wearing shirts with the F word printed largely on them... these weren't kids, but adults who really should know much better. So, my dress code rules are really more universal than just school kids, lol.
    I have used up my free articles so can't grab the quotes, but the linked dress code does address inappropriate language, gang-related clothing, etc. The revolutionary part is instead of saying girls shouldn't wear certain items, "because boys will be distracted," it specifically forbids school officials from using that rationale. It also specifically forbids school personnel from telling girls they are "too fat" to wear the clothing they have chosen. I think those are appropruare restrictions on the language used to address students about their clothing.