Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This school dress code might be revolutionary...

Quote Originally Posted by nam View Post
    I have always wondered about this sentiment. I get the thinking behind the notion that school is practice work and so kids should get used to dressing in a way that is acceptable in a place of work. But when I went to college the students there were dressed in all sorts of non-work-acceptable clothing, and, still, somehow managed to figure out how to dress appropriately when they went to work. So, I am not thinking school dress codes are an apples to apples comparison to workplace dresscodes.
    My point is that there are rules for everyone. I don't think it hurts kids to be told, "No, you can't wear that to school. "

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RealCranky View Post
    I don't want to see anybody's underwear. I am surprised at how often that's a problem.
    That's really my only thing. I don't want to see underwear. But most rules restrict things like shoulders. I also don't have a problem with violence/drugs/alcohol - but seeing as how so many of them are designed to shame young women I think this is a great dress code.

The revolutionary part is instead of saying girls shouldn't wear certain items, "because boys will be distracted," it specifically forbids school officials from using that rationale. It also specifically forbids school personnel from telling girls they are "too fat" to wear the clothing they have chosen. I think those are appropruare restrictions on the language used to address students about their clothing.
    And I agree with all of that. I was agreeing with the part I quoted as well.

The local school dress codes require shirts to have sleeves, for both boys and girls.

I think that the issue is deeper than school dress codes. Fashionable clothing for girls tends to be far more revealing than the equivalent for boys.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

I like guidelines on how a dress code is approached. I do think we need them.

I also agree that when it comes to women and girls, there is a lot more fashion opportunity for too much skin, and bra strap. Mens choices usually have the ability to cover more. So automatically a girl is more likely to have clothing items that don't fit the rules. Being able to have rules that make sense, but don't shame people works for me.

Unrelentingly Oppositional Andrea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    I'm not OK with body shaming anyone, but I am OK with dress codes. Even adults are not permitted to wear whatever they want at work.

I work at a customer's site that is really lax on the dress code, and I have cringed at what some people wear. My company has a stricter dress code than the customer's site, and we push the buttons of our boss by wearing jeans at the customer's when they are prohibited at the office. He's decided not to fight that battle anymore. ;) However, we still haven't crossed the boundaries of flip flops and ripped up jeans (seen last week).

I do think a school should definitely be more lax than a place of business, but telling kids they can't wear clothes with body parts showing or undergarments exposed is not body shaming, IMO. It's not about weight or body type.
    I'm here.

Quote Originally Posted by RealCranky View Post

I think that the issue is deeper than school dress codes. Fashionable clothing for girls tends to be far more revealing than the equivalent for boys.
    And here.

Let's be real. There are clothing choices available for young girls that are quite sexualized. A school with dress codes forbidding that attire is not "shaming." We throw around that word a little too easily these days.

"When politics becomes a religion, then simple disagreements become apostasies, heresies. And you know what we do with heretics." -- Peggy Noonan

THIS.
    Our rule of thumb for my own children were that we didn't buy things that showed too much midriff when arms were raised, and if you bent over to pick something off the floor, actual butt cheek wasn't showing. This was MUCH easier to accomplish with my sons than it was with my daughter. We live in an area where it is still well over 100 degrees when school starts. Finding shorts that met the fingertip guideline for my daughter were next to impossible. Boys=gym shorts.

I want to write a dress code for my kindergartners. It would go something like this:
    NO laces unless your kid can tie their shoes.
    No velcro if your kid makes music with them all day every day.
    No flip flops for running on the playground.
    *options left- boots, or Tom's like shoes, lol

No overalls, rompers, etc that they can't undo when they need to go to the restroom.
    girls in skirts- shorts or bike pants or something underneath please. Because they will inevitably hang from the monkey bars, do cartwheels, somersaults, etc, and i don't want to see their underpants all day every day.

It's BEN and Jerry, not GWEN and Jerry! Catamount's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deeniereenie View Post
    THIS.
    Our rule of thumb for my own children were that we didn't buy things that showed too much midriff when arms were raised, and if you bent over to pick something off the floor, actual butt cheek wasn't showing. This was MUCH easier to accomplish with my sons than it was with my daughter. We live in an area where it is still well over 100 degrees when school starts. Finding shorts that met the fingertip guideline for my daughter were next to impossible. Boys=gym shorts.

I want to write a dress code for my kindergartners. It would go something like this:
    NO laces unless your kid can tie their shoes.
    No velcro if your kid makes music with them all day every day.
    No flip flops for running on the playground.
    *options left- boots, or Tom's like shoes, lol

No overalls, rompers, etc that they can't undo when they need to go to the restroom.
    girls in skirts- shorts or bike pants or something underneath please. Because they will inevitably hang from the monkey bars, do cartwheels, somersaults, etc, and i don't want to see their underpants all day every day.

Amen! I had my kids use elastic laces until they could tie their shoes before three minutes elapsed. Our preschool does have a rule against flip flops. Little kids just can't move in them safely. And you don't need to wait past circle time to inventory the underpants of every girl in a skirt.
    "Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    I'm not OK with body shaming anyone, but I am OK with dress codes. Even adults are not permitted to wear whatever they want at work.

I work at a customer's site that is really lax on the dress code, and I have cringed at what some people wear. My company has a stricter dress code than the customer's site, and we push the buttons of our boss by wearing jeans at the customer's when they are prohibited at the office. He's decided not to fight that battle anymore. ;) However, we still haven't crossed the boundaries of flip flops and ripped up jeans (seen last week).

I do think a school should definitely be more lax than a place of business, but telling kids they can't wear clothes with body parts showing or undergarments exposed is not body shaming, IMO. It's not about weight or body type.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by deeniereenie View Post
    I agree with this and will add in no clothing with curse words. I was at the football game last night, and saw at least 3 people wearing shirts with the F word printed largely on them... these weren't kids, but adults who really should know much better. So, my dress code rules are really more universal than just school kids, lol.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    I'm here.

And here.

Let's be real. There are clothing choices available for young girls that are quite sexualized. A school with dress codes forbidding that attire is not "shaming." We throw around that word a little too easily these days.
    Agreed. I drive past the high school every morning on my way to work. Dressing like a hooker isn't appropriate for high school. Thigh high stiletto boots, fishnet stockings, and a crop top? Being a distraction is the entire point with that attire. I always wonder if they leave the house like that or stop somewhere to change along the way. Because I would LIKE to think no parent would condone that for high school, but I'm sure some do.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"