Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please give me your best painting tips!

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar

Please give me your best painting tips!

I want to paint a bedroom in my house. I am a novice painter (like Jon Snow, I know nothing), and I need tips from experienced painters, please!
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

Ooh ooh! I love painting. Done every house we've ever lived in multiple times. Painting isn't hard, but it can be finicky. Here's some thoughts:

It's hard to judge how a room is going to look from a paint chip - especially with darker colours, so don't go too dark.
    Don't use cheap paint. There is a world of difference between the cheapest and good, professional quality paint. It covers better, washes better, looks better. That said, I use cheap stuff on ceilings.
    Primer is needed if the existing paint is old oil-based. If you don't know - primer to be safe.
    Primer also if you're changing from dark to light, but it's not totally necessary if you're doing the same or similar light colours and it's all latex.
    Kilz Max is my go-to primer - it covers literally anything you could have on your walls.
    Don't panic when it first goes on - paint looks like crap before it's dry, especially darker colours and especially the first coat.
    Do more than one coat. With lighter colours 2 is usually enough for total coverage.
    Mask off baseboards and trim, but don't totally trust it. I've never found a tape that leaves a perfect line IRL, no matter what the ads say. maybe because I have had bumpy 1950s walls in my houses, though.
    Wash your walls with TSP before you paint. It's a grease remover, and will leave you with a good clean surface to paint.

My best painting tip: Hire a painter

I tried myself once, such a mess, never again lol

Sitting on the couch eating bon bons! Eli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GiftOfFlavor View Post
    My best painting tip: Hire a painter

I tried myself once, such a mess, never again lol
    This.

I would love to be wrong. Yogagirl's Avatar
    Don't step in the paint tray and then walk around. You're welcome.

Premier Sponsor
    If you are taping and then doing multiple layers, take the tape off and retape between layers or use a razor blade to score along the tape when you do remove it. I left tape on for textured primer, gray primer, and two coats of dark red once. When I started taking the tape off the earlier layers of paint wanted to come off with it! I narrowly avoided tragedy.

I like "Shur-line" products for edging. I use a little roller to apply paint to the pad so I don't accidentally get paint on the wheels.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

It's BEN and Jerry, not GWEN and Jerry! Catamount's Avatar
    Start on a wall that isn't the one you'll spend the most time looking at, because you'll get better at painting as you practice. It takes a little time to figure out the right amount of paint to put on the roller. And spend a little extra money to buy good rollers- it makes a difference in how easy it is to make it look good by the end.

If you are wavering on whether you need to paint the ceiling, paint it. Do it first.
    "Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there.'"

Premier Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Catamount View Post

If you are wavering on whether you need to paint the ceiling, paint it. Do it first.
    I need to paint the ceiling in my kitchen but am scared to try! How do you keep from getting paint splatters everywhere?
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

What JT said. Though, these days, I do what GoF says unless it's a pretty easy room. Sure edge saves a lot of time and the using the big roller is easy (nice tip on using a small roller to add paint to pad... never thought of that).

Rollers spatter all over your hair and clothes, dress accordingly.

It's BEN and Jerry, not GWEN and Jerry! Catamount's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
    I need to paint the ceiling in my kitchen but am scared to try! How do you keep from getting paint splatters everywhere?
    I've never had trouble if I didn't have too much paint on the roller. Minimal paint, light consistent pressure, start in the middle of the room (so when you have the most paint on the roller you have the most room to work with / control it) and work toward the edges, switch to a small roller and work parallel with the wall when you get close, cover everything with plastic drop cloth. You can tape a plastic drop cloth right to the wall with painters tape to make sure that it stays where you want it and covers up what you need to. I've never done the kitchen (we did have that painted professionally as part of a big renovation project) and the counters would be a pain, but I think if you did it in stages and carefully covered a chunk at a time with a plastic dropcloth you'd be fine. And wet latex paint washes right off if you do get it somewhere you don't want it.
    "Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there.'"