Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Book Recommendations for Tween Girls

I literally just stumbled across a book blog by an 11 year old girl - reviews of everything she's reading. Might be fun for your dd to check it out http://www.booksbyjulia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
    I have two twelve year olds who are voracious readers. What kinds of books does she like? (Funny, books about "real" kids in middle school, fantasy?)

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
    She likes almost anything if I can get her to start it. She's very much a instant decider - but can't really articulate exactly what it is that draws her in. That makes it even more difficult! But, I'd say she likes funny and things that reflect real life situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarsparilla View Post
    Rollergirl
    The Penderwicks (series)
    A Crooked Kind of Perfect
    Bayou Magic
    Echo
    Nest
    Moving Target
    I will add these to our list, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ebraday View Post
    Thanks for asking this, NK! My DD is the same age and we Havre been searching, as well.

My DD loved The Selection Series as did all her friends.
    It's so hard! They really are so in-between things at this age. I'll add that! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    Anne of Green Gables! Has she done the Harry Potter series yet? I also loved the Airborne series by Kenneth Oppel. It's YA steampunk - I think it's primarily directed at boys but there is a strong female character in it. The Septimus Heap books by Angie Sage might skew a little young - but they're good. They sound derivative of HP, but they're really not.
    Oh yes! I'm clearly forgetting a lot of the books from my childhood. She has started and stopped Harry Potter more times that I can count - it just hasn't grabber her yet. She is reading Hunger Games right now and is just starting to get into that.

I'm clearly not going to be able to stay out of this thread. ;)

Roller Girl is one of our absolute favorites.

If you like graphic novels, anything by Reina Telgemeier is pretty great (Sisters, Smile, etc.). El Deafo by Cece Bell is fantastic. Ursula Vernon is aimed a bit younger, but her Harriet the Invincible books are a super fun fairy tale spoof, and the kids are currently eating up the Dragonbreath books.

For more serious themes, The Meaning of Maggie is a terrific fictionalized autobiography about a girl in the sixth (?) grade who has a father with MS. We're halfway done with the audiobook It Ain't So Awful, Falafel which is another fictionalized autobiography about a girl who moved to California in the 70's during the time when the Ayatollah overthrew the Shah. It's funny, and has some terrific observations about the challenges of being from another culture.

The Thing About Jellyfish is one of the better books I read last year for any age.

Circus Mirandus is a great magical book with serious themes. Flora and Ulysses is amazing. Mockingbird by Katherine Erskine. I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest is edgier, but is a girl power story without any actual off-color content (adult themes are implied but not spelled out.)

Any books by Stuart Gibbs or Carl Hiassen are entertaining.

The Secret Series by Pseudonymous Bosch, followed by the Bad Magic trilogy.

Liesl and Po by Lauren Oliver (preferably on audio, read by Jim Dale.)

For funny and light; Middle School, the Worst Years of My Life or Max Crumbly. Foxcraft is a good fantasy series. Emily Windsnap has a giant following around here, as does the Mysterious Benedict Society series. Harry Potter, and the Hunger Games, of course.

I'm sure I have more if I think a bit. This is just what we've gobbled in the last six months or so...
    She has read the Reina Telgemeir books and we actually got to go to see the book premiere of Flora and Ulysses with Kate DiCamillo as she lives here :) So fun! All the others will be added though. Especially, the Jim Dale narration. I could listen to him read Harry Potter to me 24/7!

And Lois Lowry (Gathering Blue, The Giver, etc...)

And the Misadventures of the Family Fletcher by Dana Alison Levy. And Middle School is Worse Than Meatloaf: Ginny Davis's Year In Stuff. The next one is called Eighth Grade is Making Me Sick.

And The Girl Who Drank The Moon. (I'll try to stop now...)
    I do have The Giver series on her Nook, but it hasn't grabber her, either. But, I keep trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    I literally just stumbled across a book blog by an 11 year old girl - reviews of everything she's reading. Might be fun for your dd to check it out http://www.booksbyjulia.com/
    Ohhh! That might be great! Then mean old mom won't be picking ;)

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! This is awesome. Like I said above, she makes snap decisions about whether or not she'll like something (and she's like this with MANY things in her life) so it's really helpful to have a LONG list :)

Well if she doesn't like HP then scratch Septimus Heap - although it's very different it is still wizards and magic

Stephen King wrote a great book for his daughter when she was young. It's called "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon". I remember dd really enjoyed it. It's a good read.
    I can't think of anything witty to say for my signature line.

I loved the Enola Holmes series. It's about Sherlock's younger sister, Enola, who runs away to London and solves mysteries, much like her brother. I gave the first book to my young niece for Christmas.

I'm just here for the lulz. Sarsparilla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I loved the Enola Holmes series. It's about Sherlock's younger sister, Enola, who runs away to London and solves mysteries, much like her brother. I gave the first book to my young niece for Christmas.
    Ditto this series!
    Welcome to Fluffytown. No smoking, no farting, no pillow fights.