Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boomer parents: 'One day, this will all be yours.' Grown children: 'Noooo!'

Boomer parents: 'One day, this will all be yours.' Grown children: 'Noooo!'

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Societ...Noooo?cmpid=FB

As baby boomers begin to downsize, they are discovering their grown children do not want their stuff. In fact, they recoil in something close to horror at the thought of trying to find room for collections of Hummels and Thomas Kinkade paintings.
    Two hundred stuffed animals, two violins, and a 7-1/2 foot-tall Christmas tree: That was just a corner of the possessions Rosalie and Bill Kelleher accumulated over their 47-year marriage. And, they realized, it was about 199 stuffed animals more than their two grown children wanted.

Going from a four-bedroom house in New Bedford, Mass. – with an attic stuffed full of paper stacked four-feet tall – to a 1,300-square-foot apartment took six years of winnowing, sorting, shredding, and shlepping stuff to donation centers.
    We're going through downsizing now, DW is realizing the kids don't want our old crap. They don't even want their own old crap... (No, none of it is Hummels or Kinkades...TYVM.)

This article is cracking me up.

Sitting on the couch eating bon bons! Eli's Avatar
    Yup. I don't have the time or space to care for extra stuff. I have all I can do now to get rid of all the crap DH constantly brings home.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    I have all I can do now to get rid of all the crap DH constantly brings home.
    I'm not allowed to throw out the crap that someone brings home....

My parents moved to a much smaller home about 3 years ago. They did A LOT of downsizing but, as an only child, the rest will ultimately be up to me. It's going to be hard. I know the things they kept mean a lot to my mom and that will make decisions difficult. Assuming my mom's sisters are still alive when the time comes they will likely want some of it. We did joke some that the things my mom marked "permanent storage" should really just be marked "nicci to deal with".

My parents have divested themselves of everything but the barest essentials for survival. They don't even have enough chairs for everyone in the house to sit on!

I would love to be wrong. Yogagirl's Avatar
    My parents downsized from a big 4 bedroom house to a little 2 bed condo and when they passed it was still full of crap no one wanted. My 72 year old mother had a draw full of tampons!!! We solved the problem by giving my brother the condo. He can deal with the tampons.

I am acutely aware that we have way too much crap that no one will want.

This is my MIL, after FIL died many years ago and she moved into an apartment, it was a nightmare sorting thru all her collectibles. Now she just moved again in with her sister. She doesn't understand why we don't want all her 100's of Hummels. They are in boxes in a storage unit somewhere along with the display cabinets she had them all in and about 100 different Christmas villages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiny Heart - Big Nuggets TheChicken's Avatar
    I already told my daughter to call 1-800-GOT-JUNK when we die.

She can keep whatever she wants, but I would never be offended if she didn't keep something because it mattered to me. Hopefully she will just keep what she likes, or can use and just dumps/sells/gives away the rest, with no anguish.

My MIL likes to buy things on eBay, change them up a little and attempt to resell at a profit. You should SEE her house. It is so full of crap you can't even sit on the couch. The couch is full of evil possessed dolls.

DH says that when she dies, he knows where to valuable stuff is and that is all he is touching. He will have a company come in and have an estate sale and split the money with his brothers.

Tiny Heart - Big Nuggets TheChicken's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post
    My MIL likes to buy things on eBay, change them up a little and attempt to resell at a profit. You should SEE her house. It is so full of crap you can't even sit on the couch. The couch is full of evil possessed dolls.

DH says that when she dies, he knows where to valuable stuff is and that is all he is touching. He will have a company come in and have an estate sale and split the money with his brothers.
    My grandmother had the evil doll couch as well.