Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Davis Islamic Center Under Fire After Sermon Translation Surfaces Online

Unrelentingly Oppositional Andrea's Avatar
    I think anti-Semitism is endemic in the Muslim world. It predates the creation of Israel. The attacks against the newly formed state were because of the anti-Semitism, not because of the state and it continues to this day because the Jews had the audacity not to know their place.

Know your place and they can be cool (if they choose to be -- and it's a big if), overstep and think you're entitled to anything outside their control to bequeath or deny and you, my friend, are fucked.

"When politics becomes a religion, then simple disagreements become apostasies, heresies. And you know what we do with heretics." -- Peggy Noonan

How endemic? <--- serious question. Is there any parallel to endemic things in the Christian world?

A lot of crap gets attributed to all Christians when I can plainly see that's not everywhere or everyone. My problem is that I have a very few Muslim friends and we don't talk theology, really. One was shocked to realize I made a conscious effort not to eat in front of her during Ramadan. She kept trying to get me to eat something, but I told her my Southern mama would kill me if she thought I didn't have better manners than that.

I'm sick of leaving religion talk to politicians. "They" are all "this way", etc. Clearly this guy embodies antisemitism and I don't trust his apology as anything other than "don't deport me, bro!" It's shameful.

But there's firebreathing antisemites in Christianity too. They may be more circumspect about what they post online because we're all English speakers but they surely rally the faithful in the pulpit to a similar degree. Yet Christianity is not all painted with that brush as far as I can see.

Unrelentingly Oppositional Andrea's Avatar
    In the Muslim world, it's widespread and entrenched. What individual American Muslims feel is variable. Some are antisemitic, some aren't. Mosques led by Wahhabi clerics here will preach messages similar to what was expressed by the Davis Imam. Many mosques in the US are funded by Saudi/Wahhabi money.

The Davis Imam's message is not a one-of, it's not rare, it's common.

"When politics becomes a religion, then simple disagreements become apostasies, heresies. And you know what we do with heretics." -- Peggy Noonan

Ideas that I believe many would consider very extreme (making Sharia law the official law of the land) seem to be very popular even with "moderate" Muslims. https://www.google.com/amp/www.pewre...world/%3famp=1

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    The attacks against the newly formed state were because of the anti-Semitism, not because of the state and it continues to this day because the Jews had the audacity not to know their place.
    That is correct. To be clear, their feelings towards you Crusaders is pretty much the same. They're in charge.

As for moderate, more tolerant Muslims. They are in the West and have integrated with Western values. There are far too many mosques in the US, near college campuses and large Islamic populations, that continue to preach hatred in Arabic. On the flip side, there are those brave Islamic people who speak out against these Imams and practices, we need to support them and not label them as supporting Islamaphobia.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie Beth View Post
    How endemic? <--- serious question. Is there any parallel to endemic things in the Christian world?

A lot of crap gets attributed to all Christians when I can plainly see that's not everywhere or everyone. My problem is that I have a very few Muslim friends and we don't talk theology, really. One was shocked to realize I made a conscious effort not to eat in front of her during Ramadan. She kept trying to get me to eat something, but I told her my Southern mama would kill me if she thought I didn't have better manners than that.

I'm sick of leaving religion talk to politicians. "They" are all "this way", etc. Clearly this guy embodies antisemitism and I don't trust his apology as anything other than "don't deport me, bro!" It's shameful.

But there's firebreathing antisemites in Christianity too. They may be more circumspect about what they post online because we're all English speakers but they surely rally the faithful in the pulpit to a similar degree. Yet Christianity is not all painted with that brush as far as I can see.
    Pew has looked at Muslim beliefs on a global scale quite extensively.

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/t...iety-overview/
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"