Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Davis Islamic Center Under Fire After Sermon Translation Surfaces Online

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    I hope the mosque takes this seriously and fires him.
    On the contrary, the mosque is saying he was "taken out of context". He didn't mean "all Jews" just the Israeli ones because of some recent Temple Mount security measures.

Here's the article

"The excerpts don't explain the full context of the Friday sermon itself. Those words were directed at oppressors...Israeli regimes that are oppressing Palestinians - not at Jews generally," said Amar Zedan.
    Zedan stressed that Shahin was speaking about the current tension at the Al Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem and what some feel is the recent unfair treatment of Muslims there.

Since a fatal shooting there July 14, Palestinians have been forced to go through metal detectors in order to worship and other restrictions have been put in place.
    Now, if you don't know the details, you might assume that Palestinians were the victims of this fatal shooting. No, armed Palestinians killed Israeli police officers. The Palestinians snuck weapons through the gates. Israel added metal detectors to prevent this... boom, Israelis are oppressors... Davis Imam says all Jews should die.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...friday-prayers

Two Israeli police officers have been shot dead and three gunmen killed during an early-morning shootout in one of Jerusalem’s most holy and sensitive sites.

The attack – involving three Israeli citizens of Palestinian origin – took place just after 7am in the Temple Mount/Haram al-Sharif complex in Jerusalem. It began near the Lions’ Gate entrance to the compound, which is revered as a holy site by both Muslims and Jews.
    According to police, the three men – residents of the Israeli Arab town of Umm al-Fahm who were armed with home-made Carlo machine guns and a pistol – opened fire on police near the gate before fleeing back into the heart of the compound which houses the al-Aqsa mosque and the Dome of the Rock.
    Now look how the Davis members of the mosque react to this shooting of police officers... (from the first article)

According to them, the shooting was a set-up and one that Americans shouldn't stand for since the U.S. sends $10 million to Israel each day.

"How did they make it all the way thorough? It's suspicious! And so what we think is that this is a ploy. This is a pre-determined plan to take over the city by implanting people to make things worse," said Adeeb Alzanoon.
    A Zionist plot... spare me. And the members of that mosque believe it.

Wait so Palestinians smuggled weapons in and killed police, but the Israelis let it happen so they could keep Palestinians out??? That's some next level conspiracy shit right there

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    That's some next level conspiracy shit right there
    Welcome to the Middle East.

I recommend The Hidden Hand by Middle East: Middle East Fears of Conspiracy by ME expert Daniel Pipes. It's from 1998.

A few years ago I read sooo many books about the Middle East - mostly in relation to Al Qaeda and all of that stuff and not so much about relations with Israel - that I got a little burned out on the subject (I was also taking MOOCS about terrorism and the history of the ME). But I will add those to my list and maybe revisit the subject in 2018 .

(After my terrorism read-a-thon - which lasted from June 2015 until December 2015 - I moved onto to a bit of an arctic expedition theme. You could say I went from hot to cold )

False flag conspiracies are a favourite go-to with nutjob apologists, of many varieties.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

Davis imam apologizes to Jewish community for anti-Semitic sermon

“To the Jewish community here in Davis and beyond, I say this: I am deeply sorry for the pain that I have caused,” the imam said during a 30-minute press conference on July 28 in Davis organized by Jewish and Muslim leaders. “The last thing I would do is intentionally hurt anyone, Muslim, Jewish, or otherwise. It is not in my heart, nor does my religion allow it.

“Indeed, commitment to defending religious rights in Jerusalem should not cause division or fan the flames of anti-Semitism.”
    “Today we will hear an apology,” said the mayor, “but it’s not about today. It’s about a long journey in our city to make this day possible. It’s about telling the imam the truth about his words. The question will be, ‘Is this enough?’ Most surely, the answer should be, ‘No.’

“The hurts are deep. Words spoken were harmful and hurtful. One statement cannot be enough but it doesn’t have to be enough. It’s a beginning to walk forward to discuss how we as a Davis community will make harms right.”
    Rabbi Seth Castleman, chair of the Sacramento-Area Board of Rabbis, spearheaded efforts this week toward regaining trust between the region’s Jewish and Muslim communities.
    Castleman accepted Shahin’s apology but also implored him to follow his words with actions. Speaking directly to Shahin, he said, “The Muslim, Jewish, and Davis communities will be looking for that and demanding that.”

The rabbi also spoke of forgiveness, explaining, “All faiths have a strong tradition of what we in Judaism call teshuva (atonement). The work we have done the past few days has built on the foundation of work that has been done over these many years. It is a true testament to teshuva. It doesn’t complete the process, but it’s a beginning.
    Let's see how this goes.

Hopefully he'll pull his head out of his bubble and realized that he can't make that kind of statement in a multicultural/multireligious community without getting some serious blowback. It's doubtful his beliefs will change - but as long as he stops spewing it from his pulpit (or whatever the mosque equivalent is) it's a start.

Unrelentingly Oppositional Andrea's Avatar
    I think it more likely he'll realize he can't make these statements while recorded lest MEMRI get a hold of the video and translate it.

Does anyone honestly believe this is the first time he's spouted this type of rhetoric? I don't. He just got caught.

"When politics becomes a religion, then simple disagreements become apostasies, heresies. And you know what we do with heretics." -- Peggy Noonan

Does anyone honestly believe he's the exception and not the rule?

If you bring the monkey, I'm leaving puppylove's Avatar
    On my 33 acres in Virginia! (Thank you Sars for the reminder) ;)
    Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Donna- People first. Dogs second. Things last.

http://countdowntoasimplerlife.blogspot.com