Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "One drink policy when dining with children"

"One drink policy when dining with children"

A New York restaurant has implemented a new, controversial policy.

At the top of its menus – right next to the martini glass logo – is the rule, “One drink policy while dining with children.”

Peddlers Bar & Bistro in Clifton, NY, wants to keep people safe on the roadways.

Melisa Gravelle, general manager at Peddlers Bar & Bistro says, “We love children. Everybody loves children and children don’t have a voice.”

Gravelle says it’s that love that inspired the limit on how much alcohol those dining with children can have.
    Link

Should restaurants be able to implement a one-drink limit for customers dining with children?

Unrelentingly Oppositional Andrea's Avatar
    More paternalistic claptrap.

What if I have a designated driver? What if I walked to the restaurant? How come this only applies to people dining with children? If having more than one drink presents a danger to the child, that same danger also exists for others sharing the road with the potential driver. Won't someone please think of them?!

I say stop serving more than one drink to anyone at any time. Also, customers should submit to a breathalyzer test prior to being served alcohol. Can't have someone having their one-drink-limit at the corner bar and then coming into another establishment to get another drink. That's double-dipping and should be considered a crime.

"When politics becomes a religion, then simple disagreements become apostasies, heresies. And you know what we do with heretics." -- Peggy Noonan

That's an interesting idea. They can do it until they get sued and a court says they can't, I guess. People dining with children aren't a protected class, not yet anyway. As long as they apply the policy equally to everyone dining with children, it's not discriminatory on any other basis.

Guess they got sick of watching people get hammered and packing the kiddies off in the car. I can definitely see it.

I think one drink is rather stringent. I could see a two drink limit for anyone driving a car or caring for children. Still, as a private business, I think they have a right to implement the policies they want. If people don't like it, they can dine somewhere else.
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

It's lame, but it's their business.

They're free to have whatever rules they want, and consumers are free to avoid going there.

Excuse me, can I have another glass of wine.
    No, you are dining with your children.
    But, they're adults.
    Sorry, they have to be over 21 in New York.
    They are!
    ** Waiter cards the "kids".
    Okay, you may have a second glass of wine.

Oh, may I have some salt?
    Sorry, the meal has sufficient sodium...

This is outrageous. I can make my own decisions.

WBTD debate... but, in the UK you need a judge to allow additional salt.

I think it's pointless. People who are going to drink and drive with their kids will figure out a way to do it. I have a very low alcohol tolerance, so I don't ever drink when I have to drive, whether my kids are with me are not. I mean, even if my kids are at home, I have to drive on the roads with other people's kids.

I will admit to being judgmental though when I see two adults drinking a ton and then getting in the car.

Then again, these days, with all the people on their phones while driving, it seems like the road is full of driver's under the influence of something. I am pretty sure trying to type on your phone is just as bad as being drunk while driving.

People here would laugh at a sign like that. Our liquor laws allow kids to drink in restaurants, as long as they are with a parent. I had my first glass of wine in public at 11 (my brother's 18th birthday party).

It's their business, their policy, though. Have at 'er.

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    WBTD debate... but, in the UK you need a judge to allow additional salt.
    Ah ............ .............what?!
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."