Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appliances

Appliances

With an upcoming move into a new house, that means I need advice on appliance shopping. Specifically, we'll need a fridge and a new washer and dryer. I have NEVER purchased a fridge (other than a dorm fridge), and the last time we bought a washer and dryer was four moves and nearly twelve years ago.

Fridge-wise, I despise the side-by side we inherited with the house in which we currently live. It seems to me as if both "sides" end up shortchanged. The space for the new fridge will be a standard 36".

W/D styles have changed a bit in 12 years. The ones that "came with" the house are front loaders, but I have seen a lot of topload washing machines in stores again. Some have agitators, some have what look like amputated agitators to me, and some don't. The set staying with this house when we move has a steam option that I don't believe we have used in the entire three years we have lived here.

Topload, frontload, whatever. Please share your input, pluses, minuses, and recommendations.

I confess to being overwhelmed.

Premier Sponsor
    I miss the timer on my washer. I could load it the night before & have it set to start spinning just as I was waking up. My next one will have that!
    Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here, we might as well dance!

It would appear as if I caught the unnecessary quotation marks virus.

We have a front load, HE Maytag that has been running great for 11 years. I'd prefer top loading; but all HE washers were front loaders.

There was a period of time in my marriage where I felt like I was out fitting a house with appliances every two years. Sears Scratch and Dent was my best friend!

If I were to make another visit, my current want would be a fridge with a freezer on the bottom, along with a drawer for easy access.

My washer is OLD. It's a whirlpool from the 1990's. It's time is coming. I want a top loader without the agitator. Most people I know do not like their front loader as much as they thought.

For my dryer, I took the advice of my sales lady when I bought my slightly dented on the side model. It's basic, I want to dry my clothes, and that's all I want it to do. So It has a dial with heat settings. It's been sitting in my basement about 15 years now, and does the job! It's a Roper, which is a bare bones Whirlpool.

I loved my LG fridge, French doors with freezer drawer on bottom, we had at our old house. I hated the side by side we had in the rental. This house has a standard fridge and I don't like it either. I'm getting creaky and all the bending down and kneeling on the floor to get to the stuff in the back of the bottom shelf is annoying.

Regarding features for the fridge, the rental's side by side had a water dispenser. It was nice but it takes away storage in your fridge. Our water cooler was still packed then, but I think I prefer having my independent water cooler. My LG had an ice maker in the freezer and I did like that. Not having one here makes me irritated.

My blog - A Northern Life

Well, I feel like I've done nothing buy buy appliances lately!

Anyway, my fridge is a Samsung, and many people hate Samsung and say they wouldn't buy another one, but I've been quite happy with this one. I can't remember how many years we've had it, but at least 5. It's got the freezer on the bottom, and the freezer is two big drawers.

I will say that it has more freezer space but a bit less refrigerator space than previous standard fridges. I also bit the bullet on this one and finally had the icemaker hooked up which meant paying to run the water line upstairs for it. And although I don't think we use a ton of ice, it's pretty nice to have lots of it when you do want it.

I replaced the washer last year, and got a Speed Queen top loader with agitator. Speed Queen is, supposedly, the most reliable brand on the market, as they mostly make commercial grade machines. I wanted a top loader, and I wanted one with a lid that didn't lock once you started the cycle, and a cycle that didn't take forever and a day. My dd has an agitatorless top loader that takes almost an hour to do a basic load. The SQ also doesn't have a lot of electronic components to go bad.

The new dryer is a Maytag. I don't do all that much drying, and need absolutely no bells and whistles. The old dryer is a Whirlpool, which doesn't have a great repair record. What I really disliked about it was that the lint filter was at the front of the drum and things got caught on it, and then ripped. So that was a priority for me. I just looked through Consumer Reports at dryer reviews last week, and LG got the top rating, but they are really expensive.

My general strategy is to aim for a reliable brand, but not one of the more expensive models because I think the more features you get, the more things that can go wrong.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

Thanks for the input, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by RealCranky View Post
    My general strategy is to aim for a reliable brand, but not one of the more expensive models because I think the more features you get, the more things that can go wrong.
    This is similar to where I stand on the matter, but am willing to pay a little more for quality, reliability, and functionality. Looking at refrigerators, there sure seem to be a lot of relatively flimsy plastic features!

Sitting on the couch eating bon bons! Eli's Avatar
    My only advice would be what you already know and that is stay away from front loader washers. I hate, hate, hate my front loader washer. It takes forever to do a load of laundry. No matter how many times DH has leveled it, it sounds and feels like an earthquake in spin mode and it gets moldy even though I leave the door and detergent drawer open. My next washer is going to be a top loader with agitator. No bells and whistles.

Oh and if you are getting a water/ice feature with new fridge, get one that is on the outside. Our filtered water is on the inside of the fridge and it's a PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    It would appear as if I caught the unnecessary quotation marks virus.