Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you keep on your dining room table?

What do you keep on your dining room table?

Dh and I finally bought a dining table, after not having one since we stored ours in 2010. We need it for entertaining, but in reality, it will probably only be used 3-4x per year for dining (we eat on the sofa and I'm doubtful I can get that to change) and then maybe once ever other month for a meeting or social gathering.

Sitting there now, it looks really, really empty, though maybe part of that is just because I'm not used to it. It seems silly to set it with our fancy plates and let them sit there unused, but I feel like it should have something on it. I've ordered a tablecloth but even with that on it will just be a blank flat surface.

Do you set your formal table when it's not in use? (It's not a formal dining room, but that's kind of how it will function.) Do you just have an artful display of knick knacks in the center? Linens? Something else? (Other than random mail and craft projects and kids' homework, and...)

I have seasonal centerpieces for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. The rest of the year, I just have a bunch of fake hydrangeas in a metal vase and four place mats. The color of the hydrangeas change with the color of the place mats. No real rhyme or reason to when I change the colors, just when I got bored of looking at the same thing.

No groundhogs; just prairie dogs RobinAnn's Avatar
    I always have some sort of centerpiece on the table (along with the boxes I'm packing to go to the second-hand store, but those aren't decorative). I once knew someone who kept his table set with china, silver, and napkins and thought that was odd (he didn't eat there nightly). My area is way to dusty for that.

Honestly, the table is mostly used as an office desk unless we have people over for dinner. We eat at the kitchen counter now. So, it contains a whole bunch of computer cords and work in progress and a desk lamp.

I am threatening to buy a new and nicer table (which is a whole project because it needs to be a specific size) and if that happens there will have to be a lot of reorganizing to get the office stuff off that table. We'll see!
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

Nothing.

Well, sometimes you may find a few footprints left by a covert cat.

Sitting on the couch eating bon bons! Eli's Avatar
    Ours is mostly used for laundry. I try to decorate it seasonally, but the cats tend to get into anything I leave up there.

Chronically sleep deprived RN_mom's Avatar
    When it's clean it just has the table cloth, napkin holder, and an antique caddie with little oil and vinegar jars, salt and pepper, etc in it.

A vase of flowers. And cat footprints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Centerpiece of 3 large candle holder things. Thanksgiving and Christmas have a themed centerpiece.

Seasonal themes

We will be moving to the new forum on November 1st.
    Be sure to register.

http://webegtodiffer.boards.net/