Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free fruit for kids in the grocery store

Free fruit for kids in the grocery store

A local grocery store is doing its part to improve the nutritional diet of youngsters.

A small basket filled with free fruit is located in the produce section of Dillons, 720 Eisenhower Road.

Children are encouraged to help themselves to a piece of fruit and eat it while their parents shop.

A small sign is posted on top of the basket, and reads, “As you shop today, please enjoy a free, healthy snack for your kids.”

“When you can do a little thing like that, it retains customer loyalty in the store,” said Jackie Chandler, store manager. “It keeps the kids busy and makes for a better shopping experience for the parents.”

Chandler said approximately 200 children each day partake in the free fruit.
    Link

What are your opinions regarding grocery stores offering free fruits to kids? I do not believe I have seen a local store offer fruit, but several in the area offer free cookies.

On the surface, it sounds like a phenomenal idea to me. However, I have touched far too many mysteriously sticky shopping cart handles and slipped in too many smooshed things on grocery store floors to feel as if this sort of program would be a good idea in practice.

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    Ours does it by each register so I hope there is less touching but since it's at the register I can at least rinse it in the sink before giving it to my son.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Loblaws does it here. Since they were already offering free cookies to any kid who went to the bakery to ask for one I think it's a great idea. The downside is that fruit leaves garbage - and I don't know if garbage cans are available enough.

The Madison food co-op does this (and it's a pretty good sized store.) I think it's nice.

I rarely allowed my kids to get the free cookies, because I'm mean.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

Great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    The downside is that fruit leaves garbage - and I don't know if garbage cans are available enough.
    Debbie Downer... they're at the registers ;)

I would love to be wrong. Yogagirl's Avatar
    Our store does it. They have little paper cups with grapes or berries or clementine sections. I would think the little serving cups would cut down on all the hands touching everything. I think its a great idea as opposed to the mom giving the toddler the can of pringles and a swig of mountain dew that I observed yesterday. (She said in a most judgmental tone.)

The markets around here give kids cookies, fruit, and they give you a sample slice of anything you order in the deli, so it's kinda like a free lunch! I have never worried or felt pressured by a super market as to how I decide to treat my kids.

Matthew would have loved it. He does not really eat sweets. People were always trying to give my kids cookies when they were little. I mean, they were exceptionally cute, but it got ridiculous. Plus, Matthew did not eat cookies and Johnny did not eat anything. So, in reality, I ate a lot of cookies. So fruit would have been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogagirl View Post
    Our store does it. They have little paper cups with grapes or berries or clementine sections. I would think the little serving cups would cut down on all the hands touching everything. I think its a great idea as opposed to the mom giving the toddler the can of pringles and a swig of mountain dew that I observed yesterday. (She said in a most judgmental tone.)
    I made the mistake ONE time of giving Matthew something I was snacking on. I gave him a Dorito. Afterward, he threw it up in the middle of Little Gym. Not my proudest moment.

Most of the stores in my area have been doing this for a long time and it's really popular, they have a fruit basket near the entrance with little cups and napkins to minimize the mess. My local IGA also has a big drink dispenser and they make different sorts of flavored water with fruit for everyone to enjoy, it's great. They also have a little garbage can near the cash and wipe-dispensers so you can wipe off the handle of your cart.