Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We Need Guns Before the Cops Arrive

It seems to me that less guns would be a better solution, I'm not sure that the outcome would have been better if a bunch of armed civilians started shooting up the local park.

Premier Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    It seems to me that less guns would be a better solution, I'm not sure that the outcome would have been better if a bunch of armed civilians started shooting up the local park.
    Or if a gun toting lawmaker slid into home...
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

He's going to carry a gun onto a baseball field?!? That just makes no sense to me. He can't run or play as well with something (pretty much anything) in his pocket. He is focused on the game, not on his surroundings. Even when gunfire broke out at that practice, it was many shots later before anyone even realized that it was coming from the third base side. Yes, I get the gut reaction (and by "get," I mean, I understand wanting to do SOMETHING), but I'm not at all certain the outcome would have been any different, and it's possible more innocent people may have been caught in the crossfire.

I agree that this guy shouldn't have had a gun. That's not to say NO ONE should have a gun, but this guy had a history that should have kept him from obtaining a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post

The answer isn't "good guys with guns" it's taking away free and easy access to guns. An armed populace strikes me as a bad idea - regardless of their mental health.
    The reality is that there are already millions of guns in America, so the only way to have any significant impact is to actually confiscate the guns that are already out there - yet liberals always act shocked when it comes to this subject and mock conservatives for their baseless fears that "we're going to take your guns away". Well, which is it? You can't have it both ways - either you take away the guns that already exist or admit that your entire position is nothing but a platitude.
    'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' - Ronald Reagan

'You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook.' - Harry S. Truman

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    Obviously politicians are higher value "targets", they get random people pissed off about something they think the politician represents.

If somebody wants to get a concealed permit it's none of my business if they get one or not. I don't blame victims of violence or possible targets of violence expressing a desire to get a gun. I remember reading something about a woman who wanted to get a gun after she was raped in a parking garage and there were comments of "well if she had a gun it could have been worse", I doubt somebody in a mass shooting or a victim of violence really gives a damn about "possible outcomes" when they are the victim of an actual violent situation.

i think arming everybody is ridiculous but if I worked in certain professions (local politician who doesn't get security detail, divorce lawyer, judges) I would seriously consider arming myself after proper training.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

I think if you don't want to be armed then don't be.

There are plenty of people who are willing to let someone else defend them or to just get picked off in a shooting situation.

I bet there isn't one person here who would be upset if the person on the field with a concealed gun saved or prevented their loved one from getting shot.