Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We Need Guns Before the Cops Arrive

We Need Guns Before the Cops Arrive

Members of Congress were lucky the Capitol Police were on hand.

The attack on congressmen last week illustrates the realities of sudden violence. There’s a saying among gun-carry permit advocates: “When seconds count, police are minutes away.”
    That was not the case last week but only because Majority Whip Steve Scalise’s Capitol Police detail was on hand and courageously engaged the shooter. Had Rep. Scalise and his security team not been present, congressmen and their aides would have been easy pickings until local police arrived. That took three minutes—but that’s a long time to spend taking cover in a baseball dugout under armed assault. “It would have been a bloodbath,” said Texas Republican Joe Barton.

Mr. Scalise’s heroic security team, Capitol Police agents Crystal Griner and David Bailey, were armed with handguns and faced a man shooting a rifle. The situation wasn’t likely to offer a good outcome.
    The truth is that armed citizens can never substitute for police, who train, practice, and re-train constantly. But officers can’t be everywhere. And ordinary citizens—even congressmen—can’t field full-time security teams. Local jurisdictions shouldn’t take away the tools we need to be our own first line of defense.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/we-need-guns-before-the-cops-arrive-1497821819

The thing is, soft targets are just that. They are targets and we cannot possibly stop them all. The solution is not to escalate potential violence, but to treat the underlying conditions that have led to such awful crimes in our society- the divisiveness and lack of respect for others' opinions and the mental health crisis and and and....

So no, I don't think the solution is more guns.

You know what would have really helped this situation? If a man with a history of mental instability and violence didn't have free access to a shitload of guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nansel View Post
    You know what would have really helped this situation? If a man with a history of mental instability and violence didn't have free access to a shitload of guns.
    Ba - Da -Bing!
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    The thing is, soft targets are just that. They are targets and we cannot possibly stop them all. The solution is not to escalate potential violence, but to treat the underlying conditions that have led to such awful crimes in our society- the divisiveness and lack of respect for others' opinions and the mental health crisis and and and....

So no, I don't think the solution is more guns.
    Yes and yes.
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

GOP rep says he'll start carrying a gun after lawmaker shooting

Rep. Chris Collins (R-N.Y.) on Wednesday said he will carry a gun with him from now on following the shooting earlier in the day at a congressional baseball practice in Alexandria, Va.
    “You look at the vulnerability. I can assure you, from this day forward, I have a carry permit, I will be carrying when I’m out and about,” Collins told local ABC affiliate WKBW in Buffalo, N.Y.
    “On a rare occasion I’d have my gun in the glove box or something, but it’s going to be in my pocket from this day forward," he added.
    "I owe it to the people in my community, God help me, to try to stop a threat to their safety, should it ever occur because of my presence."

The only thing that stopped a massacre was good guys who were armed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...arrying-a-gun/

I can't say I blame him

I think history has proven time and time again that more guns is NEVER the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebraday View Post
    I think history has proven time and time again that more guns is NEVER the answer.
    Maybe in 1860 in the wild west but not now. People refuse to see that something written in the 1700s may not fit 100% with society today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The answer isn't "good guys with guns" it's taking away free and easy access to guns. An armed populace strikes me as a bad idea - regardless of their mental health.

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    At least over in Europe you just get ran over by vehicles if somebody wants to kill a bunch of people.

seems to be more effective looking at the news.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers