Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fortune Tellers

Feminist since age three! Marian Paroo's Avatar
    My late mother remembered the Romas and their wagons back in Bessarabia, then Romania, now divided between the Ukraine and Moldova.

Her older sister was a great one for going to get her fortune told.

Quote Originally Posted by Nansel View Post
    No.

Years ago a bunch of the women in my family went to a cafe with a tea leaf reader. The reader told dd that she had "a supportive family". Wow, quite a stretch saying that about a 14 year old there with a cousin, two aunts, and a grandma. . I didn't go, I knew I'd be snorting the whole time and ruining everyone's fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh, god, me too. Dh had a friend when they got promoted together so they got close figuring out the new job. He and his wife lost a toddler at some point. I think it was some sort of accident, I don't really know.

She was always inviting me to this stuff and I didn't want to offend her, but I knew it wasn't good for me to go because I would at some point, mutter "oh, horseshit" and that would be bad. She needs to believe this person is aware of the afterlife and that her baby is okay and happily waiting for them.

That may well be the case, who's to say? But this happy asshole is pretending for money. Maybe their intentions are the best kind, and they're providing a kind service, but it's not real.

Once I was on a FB mommy group that posted some sort of beach snapshot that had some sort of weird photo effect. There was talk it was the ghost of a child who had drowned or something in the area. There was talk of contacting the family. I was livid. Good intentions, I'm sure, but leave the family the hell alone, they're miserable enough. If someone did that to me in that situation I'd want to kill them. Not everyone who loses someone important is searching for "any way to communicate" with their loved one.

Death is so scary and upsetting because there's no way to reach your loved one, other than possibly your own death. To me these people capitalize on that. To those who don't believe, it's exploitative, full stop.

I have a dear friend who has a psychic she sees regularly. I was once at a party at her house and everyone there was talking about their psychics! It was strange.

I played a psychic once - I was at a summer program in high school and the women on my hall were having a meeting, and I mentioned something about being able to see exactly what kind of house they all lived in, and we went around the room and I was almost 100% correct. But that was just because I spent the first week observing everyone and listening to them talk, so between what I learned from them and what I knew about the towns they were from, it was just extrapolation, nothing supernatural about it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by maurinsky View Post
    I have a dear friend who has a psychic she sees regularly. I was once at a party at her house and everyone there was talking about their psychics! It was strange.

I played a psychic once - I was at a summer program in high school and the women on my hall were having a meeting, and I mentioned something about being able to see exactly what kind of house they all lived in, and we went around the room and I was almost 100% correct. But that was just because I spent the first week observing everyone and listening to them talk, so between what I learned from them and what I knew about the towns they were from, it was just extrapolation, nothing supernatural about it at all.
    That's kind of the way I see super religious people who talk about "God wants this and that" all the time.. I won't dispute that God is real, but how do they know, genuinely KNOW, what their Creator wants? Bible? What their preacher says? What their religion's version of a national platform is? Prayer? What? You feel like you know, so that's what you say, but your belief is based upon hearsay and things that happen to you that you recognize as the work of God. Who's to say, maybe it is..? But like, the specifics that some people put out there as belief - "God wants only heterosexuals to have kids", say? How do you know that? Why would he allow for IVF, and adoption and foster kids, then?

I go by the quote, "A new commandment I give unto you, love one another as God has loved you.." There are like 9 cross references to that in the Bible. And yes, it's hearsay, but it's heavily corroborated hearsay.

Everything else I depend on the intellect God provided me with.

No, because the laws of Quantum Physics make that impossible. The "Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle" explains it very well.

I do, however, believe in predicting the future in general based on scientific analysis of data and trends. For example; in my opinion, our ever burgeoning population coupled with our dwindling non-renewable resources, coupled with our eroding environment coupled with the ever increasing political tensions around the world are trending towards a global catastrophe that isn't that very far in our future. This prediction would change, of course, if things started trending upward or we make new discoveries that can alleviate or even solve some of the critical issues that are facing us.
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

I'm in the minority who does believe some people have a genuine gift, because I've had my mind blown a time or two and it's definitely not down to lucky guesses or the ability to "read me". Although I think most are based on bullshit. Huge red flag when they want money, IME. The ones I've known won't take money for their readings and that's not what motivates them.

I used to hang out on psychic channels back when ICQ was a thing. I had to step away when things got weird and I was having encounters with people/things I really didn't like. Seems like a lifetime ago.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"