Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon to buy Whole Foods Market in deal valued at $13.7 billion

Amazon to buy Whole Foods Market in deal valued at $13.7 billion

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.cd327e4b4419

The $13.7 billion deal brings to a head a years-long battle brewing between Amazon, the online darling, and traditional retail powerhouses likes Walmart. And it shakes up a U.S. grocery industry that has been struggling to keep up with growing competition, both in stores and online. Amazon, which for years has been testing new technology and innovations in quiet corners, would now have a network of physical locations to test and implement those ideas.

News of the deal sent shares of traditional retailers like Walmart, Target, Costco and Kroger tumbling as much as 13 percent as investors tried to digest the implications of an Amazon-backed grocery chain.
    “Whole Foods Market has been satisfying, delighting and nourishing customers for nearly four decades — they’re doing an amazing job and we want that to continue,” said Jeffrey P. Bezos, founder and chief executive of Amazon.com. (Bezos owns The Washington Post.)
    I 'd the last paragraph.

Well, this excites me. I HATE going to Whole Foods, but they have a couple of products I need. The main one is their 365 brand of coconut milk. It is truly the best one on the market and I hate going in there just for that. I come out with that, plus $100 worth of stuff I didn't need.

I was trying to find coconut milk the other day to order from Amazon. Now they will have MY brand.
    SaveSave

I had no idea Whole Foods was so old . This doesn't impact me one way or the other. I go to Whole Foods every couple of months to pick up a loaf of cranberry walnut bread and hit the cookie bar - but other than that I don't really shop there. I do find it intriguing that Amazon is making such a leap into B&M stores - interesting to see what changes occur in both brands as a result.

It's like when Loblaws bought Shoppers Drug Mart and now I can get my PC chips at the drugstore #Canadian ;)

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    Future name change for Amazon

Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    This doesn't impact me one way or the other.
    Of course not, Amazon won't roll out the service in Canada for at least 3-4 years after they do it here ;)

Loblaws stock dropped a lot today on this news.

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post
    Future name change for Amazon

maybe they'll sell cupcakes in a cup!
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

Unrelentingly Oppositional Andrea's Avatar
    Does that mean I can get my $5.00 tomato (singular - as in one tomato) delivered prime?

"When politics becomes a religion, then simple disagreements become apostasies, heresies. And you know what we do with heretics." -- Peggy Noonan

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    Does that mean I can get my $5.00 tomato (singular - as in one tomato) delivered prime?
    Amazon Fresh is currently $14.99 per month for Prime members. So, you can get that $5 tomato for $20 ;) It'll be organic...

I'll drive to the green grocer ;)

Unrelentingly Oppositional Andrea's Avatar

"When politics becomes a religion, then simple disagreements become apostasies, heresies. And you know what we do with heretics." -- Peggy Noonan

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    I had no idea Whole Foods was so old . This doesn't impact me one way or the other. I go to Whole Foods every couple of months to pick up a loaf of cranberry walnut bread and hit the cookie bar - but other than that I don't really shop there. I do find it intriguing that Amazon is making such a leap into B&M stores - interesting to see what changes occur in both brands as a result.

It's like when Loblaws bought Shoppers Drug Mart and now I can get my PC chips at the drugstore #Canadian ;)
    When I was a kid it was Called "Bread and Circus"