Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pet responsibility

Premier Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    Well, I wouldn't allow throwing food at it either

We are talking about a hamster or a gerbil type animal? We had one and it's only need was food, water and a clean cage. Our girl was pretty scared of humans and nipped if we got too close. Boring pet.
    It takes a lot of effort to tame a gerbil/hamster so it will be fun to play with. My son succeeded with his first one, but by the time he got his second hamster we had a dog so the hamster really couldn't be out much. That hamster never was as fun as a pet, and it never had as fun a life as the first hamster who ds tamed.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

Yeah, the pug was "Matthew's dog." And he is interested in her…occasionally. She needs intense amounts of attention and love though. Turns out that DH and Johnny and I are the ones giving it. I suppose I could make Matthew do the stuff, but I have no desire to. I enjoy spoiling her rotten. DH swore he was not interested in a pug and now that dog is glued to him anytime he is home. She sleeps with him. She naps with him. She sits at his feet and watches anything he does. She has him wrapped around her tiny little paws. And when he is at work and I am doing something, I find her snuggled up next to Johnny. Johnny is also her playmate.

I guess I could give all responsibility to Matthew, but then the three of us would miss out on the incredible bond we have with her. Guess who is NOT taking Yuki with him when he leaves for college? And that's as much my choice as it is his.

I agree with Nansel. Dogs especially need someone who is not just going to do the bare minimum. They need someone who is 100% in. I can make Matthew feed her and groom her, etc., but I can't make him adore and worship her. And she NEEDS to be adored and worshipped.

Kim <<< happily owned by a 16 pound pug ;)

Ugh. The fights over taking care of the hamsters.... Also, the poodle was supposed to be DD's, but I take care of him. I'm OK with that because he's my baby.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I've never had pets that I wasn't willing to look after. Thankfully the kids never wanted any when they were young until they decided to try goldfish when they were in the 8-12 range. I ended up doing most of the work there anyway but I enjoyed them for the most part so it was okay. I wouldn't get a very young child a pet because an animal's lifespan can be beyond a child's comprehension.

DH wants a dog for Roxy but I am completely not interested because they are too high maintenance for me. We have fish (again) and an adult cat, that's enough for me.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

I would let them give the pet away. I think part of the responsibility of owning a pet is recognizing when you're in over your head and finding a good home for it if you can no longer keep it. Better to find a loving home where the pet will be taken care of and happy then keep it in a home where the owner doesn't want to take the time. Now, with that said, I also wouldn't allow them to get another pet anytime soon. If you gave one away because you didn't want to take care of it there is no reason to get another pet that will also need taking care of.

Quote Originally Posted by STLouisMom9800 View Post
    I would let them give the pet away. I think part of the responsibility of owning a pet is recognizing when you're in over your head and finding a good home for it if you can no longer keep it. Better to find a loving home where the pet will be taken care of and happy then keep it in a home where the owner doesn't want to take the time. Now, with that said, I also wouldn't allow them to get another pet anytime soon. If you gave one away because you didn't want to take care of it there is no reason to get another pet that will also need taking care of.
    All of this.

My kids want little hamsters and reptiles and things, but it's going to have to wait until I see the maturity. We've had cats and a dog, but we're into that and can share the responsibility.

Also I'm afraid the cats will hunt the little pets and their lives will be punctuated by episodes of terror as yet another feline face springs out of nowhere and flattens itself against the glass. Heart attack city. I share this worry with the kids so they know it's not just mom being arbitrary. We want any pet that lives with us to enjoy a natural lifespan, a happy life free from constant fear.