Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet responsibility

My Happily Ever After. <3 lilone's Avatar

Pet responsibility

Your child wants a pet. You buy them a gerbil, hamster or something similar. General lifespan is 2-3 years.
    After a year, child tires of the pet and doesn't want to take care of it anymore. Do you let him/her give the pet away? Tell them they took on a responsibility they need to see through?
    ~Vicki~

Moving right along....

We have never given a pet away. For one thing, you can never find anyone who would take them. But yeah, we are a, "Once a pet is part of the family, it is part of the family until it dies" family.

That said, my kids were never allowed to have any type of rodent creature. We only allowed pets that we would be happy to care for if they lost interest. I would sooner die than touch any hamster, gerbil, rat, etc. So, we have had dogs, fish, and fire-bellied toads.

As far as who takes care of the pets, it has ALWAYS started as the kids will take care of it. It never lasts long though. The one exception to that is Johnny and his fish. He feeds it religiously and cleans the water. DH and I go into any pet situation knowing we will be doing the bulk of the care. That was especially true when the kids were younger.

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    Pobably better off giving the pet away instead of a child doing it against their will. I remember in the Sims video game they had a pet guinea pig and the description said something along the lines of "doomed to live a life in solitude". Kids will take care of them for a while and then the pet lives out it's last year in a dark basement occasionally fed
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

If the OP situation has already occurred, I would give it away. No mammal deserves a life of simply being kept alive. I would tell the child that they are obviously not responsible enough to care for a living creature, so there will be no more pets.

I'm assuming the child is 10+. Not many kids younger than that are capable of being responsible long term. If the kid in question is younger, then hopefully the parents know it's on them. When I was handling adoptions at the pound, I had many a chat with parents about how the dog was legally their responsibility, and theirs alone, hoping they'd get the hint. Obviously I couldn't tell them how to run their household, but I'd try to impress on them what they were getting themselves into, care wise. We still had more than a couple returns because the parents said the kid wasn't taking care of the dog. Lazy ass parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Nansel View Post
    If the OP situation has already occurred, I would give it away. No mammal deserves a life of simply being kept alive. I would tell the child that they are obviously not responsible enough to care for a living creature, so there will be no more pets.

I'm assuming the child is 10+. Not many kids younger than that are capable of being responsible long term. If the kid in question is younger, then hopefully the parents know it's on them. When I was handling adoptions at the pound, I had many a chat with parents about how the dog was legally their responsibility, and theirs alone, hoping they'd get the hint. Obviously I couldn't tell them how to run their household, but I'd try to impress on them what they were getting themselves into, care wise. We still had more than a couple returns because the parents said the kid wasn't taking care of the dog. Lazy ass parents.
    This is one of the reasons we only allow pets we like as well. Even if we didn't like the animal at all though, it would still be well cared for and interacted with. Anyone who would stick an animal somewhere and ignore it is a monster. I know people like that exist, but it still always shocks me.

Also on the "we only get pets I want to take care of" bench. I regret having agreed to the dog, because I did end up taking care of her for 13 years.

The exception would be a kid who has proven to be extremely responsible about that, and I've known a few. One of them was a student who has grown up to be a vet, and she was always like that with animals.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

Pets are always a family deal. I would never re-home a pet just because the kid it was "gifted" to was a slacker.

I have a dog, cat, and at one point hermit crabs, that were technically gifted, yet all are/ were joint efforts. Pets are family and e eryone pitches in

Umm, I would make my kid take care of the pet as they promised. If I were truly a terrible parent then I would do it myself . But I can't fathom why I would let my kid be free of this responsibility. It's a chore like any other chore that needs to be done.

I wouldn't ever consider giving it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    It's a chore like any other chore that needs to be done..
    I disagree. It's a living creature with needs beyond having food thrown at it by a resentful child who doesn't care about it.

Well, I wouldn't allow throwing food at it either

We are talking about a hamster or a gerbil type animal? We had one and it's only need was food, water and a clean cage. Our girl was pretty scared of humans and nipped if we got too close. Boring pet.