Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you call your in-laws?

What do you call your in-laws?

To their faces...

Do you refer to your in-laws as Mr./Mrs. Last Name? By their first names? Mom and dad? Something else.

My MIL's name is Vera but she goes by Pinkie so that's what I call her, I don't think I've ever called her Vera and I would never, ever call her mom. My FIL is dead so I don't call him anything
    Kim

There's a boy here in town says he'll love me forever
    Who would have thought forever could be severed by
    The sharp knife of a short life
    ~The Band Perry

I called her mom and I loved her so much. DH calls my mom Nancy

Dead

I call my MIL by her first name - once ds was born I switched to primarily calling her Grandma - but when it's just the two of us I call her by her first name. I call my FIL an asshole and I haven't seen his face in over a decade. He doesn't deserve to be called "Grandpa" so if I see him again it would be by his first name only.

Glad you added to their faces. I try not to ever be around them. When I am, I call them by their first names.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    I call my MIL by her first name - once ds was born I switched to primarily calling her Grandma - but when it's just the two of us I call her by her first name. I call my FIL an asshole and I haven't seen his face in over a decade. He doesn't deserve to be called "Grandpa" so if I see him again it would be by his first name only.
    Yeah, once the kids were born, I refer to them as Pop and Grandma Debby. That pisses SMIL off apparently. She went through a phase where she kept correcting them to just call her Grandma. She's lucky she gets to be called Grandma anything to them and lucky that I love my kids enough not to refer to her as Grandma Bitchface.

First names. I was told that I was welcome to call them Mom & Dad, but that seemed weird to me, as I already have a Mom and Dad. So I went with first names, which has been fine.

Mom and Dad. They have been more like parents to me than mine ever were, and I love them to death. We've had very very few wobbles in the 28 years I've known them. They are the best people on earth. My dh alternated between calling my folks Mom/Dad or by their first names. Moreso by their first names. My DIL alternates between our first names and Mom/Dad, and more frequently by Mom/Dad now. My son refers to his ILs the same way my DIL refers to us.

I would love to be wrong. Yogagirl's Avatar
    First names. I initially called my first set of in-laws Mr and Mrs well after we were married. No one ever told me not to but after the birth of their second grandchild I said fuck it and started calling them by their first names.