Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What do you call your in-laws?

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny View Post
    He's the only one that's ever taken issue with it. There are very few, on my side (maternal/paternal), that I refer to as Aunt/Uncle Whatever. If I do call them aunt or uncle, it's generally in reference to someone unrelated to us. One of them I refer to as Uncle Asshole, if I must refer to him, as he's the one who molested me. I call him that no matter who I am speaking to, family or not. He died a few years after our wedding, thank the FSM. Now he can't diddle any more kids, including his own grandkids/greatgrandkids. I know he messed with his 2 daughters, though they'll deny it out loud. I saw him go into their rooms and lock the doors, and saw the girls' faces and demeanor after. I know what that looks like, cuz it was what I looked like/acted like/felt like.

Dh's side, some of his aunts and uncles are in the same age bracket as us. It's quite odd calling them Aunt/Uncle Whatever. His family on his dad's side is practically Duggar sized. In fact, one of his uncles is several weeks younger than he is, and he is the 5th (or 6th, I can't keep everyone straight) oldest grandchild, lol. The grandkid next youngest after him, was born 2 days before Grandma and Grandpa's last kid (the aforementioned uncle Dh is older than.) There's about 5 of them, that uncle included, I think? that are the same age or merely 2-5 years older than us, some of who have kids younger than our kids even. It's so convoluted, the only time we refer to them as aunts or uncles, is to make people go "Whaaaaaaat?" and do a double take thing.
    My nieces and nephews go back and forth calling me Aunt Debi and Debi. I'll admit. It did kind of irritate me at first until I reflected on why that was which was basically because That's. The. Way. It's Always. Been. Done., and realized it was stupid to be irritated by it.

I still call my aunts/uncles "aunt" and "uncle" but I've dropped it with my nieces/nephews. My SIL's family is blended and while I refer to her step kids as my niece and nephew (and think of them as my niece and nephew) I don't want them to feel the need to call me aunt and uncle - they were 12/15 when we met so I don't want to push anything down their throats - so it made sense to drop it with the others .

My brother's dd may still call me aunt but I've stopped signing my cards to her that way.

What do you call your in-laws?

When my sister's kids were young adults, I had told my sister I was totally fine if they dropped the Auntie from my name. She told them so, and apparently they said "but it's all one word!" . So I remain Auntie Nancy, even as they enter their late 30s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Auntie makes me stabby . I had two Aunt Marys (my uncle had a wife and a sister named Mary ) and one of them always referred to herself as "Auntie Mary" and it made me every time

I called my MIL by her first name.

Oh yeah, in-laws. I never called them anything to their faces until dd was born, then they were Grandma and Grandpa. If I was referring to them with someone else, I'd call them DH's Mom and Dad. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    Auntie makes me stabby . I had two Aunt Marys (my uncle had a wife and a sister named Mary ) and one of them always referred to herself as "Auntie Mary" and it made me every time
    In my case, it goes better with my name than just plain old Aunt. Not that I had a real choice - I was 13 when first nephew was born, and that's what the family dubbed me. . My twin brother made his kids call me Aunt Nancy and it seemed really awkward when they said it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unrelentingly Oppositional Andrea's Avatar
    Norman and Doris.

"When politics becomes a religion, then simple disagreements become apostasies, heresies. And you know what we do with heretics." -- Peggy Noonan

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    DH has 3 nephews and a niece. They were like 10-16 years old when I met him. Know what they call him? Unkie. Just Unkie. It makes me twitch so badly. It's their thing though and it was around long before I was. Anything they send him is addressed that way.

What do you call your in-laws?

This makes me remember my mom's dad and his wife. We always called them Grandlastname and Firstname. She used to get pissy about it. But she was awful to my mom growing up and once I came across a venom-infused letter she sent, stashed in an old trunk, where she berated my mom for having her sixteen year old brother walk her down the aisle instead of dad. Dad could be flaky and fail to show up when he promised. Mom was only twenty and she wanted someone dependable on her wedding day. The fact that the someone happened to be sixteen seems immaterial to me but it sure seemed important to her.

I can understand what it must have felt like on the step grandma's end, but I never forgot the venom in that letter. She's lucky my mom included her in our lives at all.

And my mom has been there and physically helped out a lot in step-grandma's long illness and slow march toward oblivion. Because she promised her dad on his deathbed. (There were no other children). She's still doing it while dealing with her own mother's long, slow march, in two different states. Mom lives far away from both in another state. Failing to ask us to call her Grandma is like the one rebellious thing my mom ever did. I remember adoring the stepmom as a kid.