Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you call your in-laws?

Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post
    I call them fucker and motherfucker to their faces also lol
    Hahaha! I feel your pain. Thankfully I don't see them at all anymore, or this would be me at this point in my life.

I've called dh's mom "mom" just a handful of times. Otherwise, I call them all by their first names.

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    I call them by their first names, or Oma and Opa when the kids are around
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

This is so awkward for me. I generally avoid using her name, which is surprisingly easy. You don't actually need say someone's name to them very often! If forced, I call her by her first name, but she never had the "please call me X" conversation with me, so it's always been uncomfortable. I wouldn't be comfortable calling her "mom" regardless.

And FTR, we have a pretty decent relationship.

This reminds me..

I'd always called most of my aunts and uncles "Aunt Firstname" or "Uncle Firstname." Into adulthood even, for the longest time. Then I had kids and got older and just slowly started calling them by their first names, dropping the uncle/aunt part, with most of them anyway. My one uncle was so pissed off by that, for no reason he could name. He's a bit of a dooooosh, so the fact that it pisses him off kinda makes me giggle. FFS, I'm nearly 50 and you're in your 70s now. GMAB. I think you can be called by your first name at this point.

My IL's are both deceased so I haven't seen their faces in a long time but they were Heather and GaGa - Gaga was K's very young attempt at Grandpa and Heather was just always Heather to everyone.

R and I both usually refer to my mom as Oma because that's all K's ever called her so we got into the habit, if we are having a conversation outside of the family he calls her Brenda but it's not very often and it always sounds weird to me when he does. They are very close, my mom's pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny View Post
    This reminds me..

I'd always called most of my aunts and uncles "Aunt Firstname" or "Uncle Firstname." Into adulthood even, for the longest time. Then I had kids and got older and just slowly started calling them by their first names, dropping the uncle/aunt part, with most of them anyway. My one uncle was so pissed off by that, for no reason he could name. He's a bit of a dooooosh, so the fact that it pisses him off kinda makes me giggle. FFS, I'm nearly 50 and you're in your 70s now. GMAB. I think you can be called by your first name at this point.
    I still call my aunts and uncle Aunt Firstname and Uncle Firstname. It would be so awkward to start referring to them by just their first name.

I stopped calling my aunts and uncles by Aunt… and Uncle… after I was about 8. Know why? All the names were ridiculous. For example, I have an Aunt Teresa, an Uncle Tommy, an Uncle Gary, and an Uncle Alfred. I have more, but those are the crazy ones. They were Aunt TT, Uncle TaTa, Uncle Boney, and Uncle WeeWee.

So, about the time I stopped being much of a kid, I stopped calling them all of that and just called them by their names.

/My family is insane.

He's the only one that's ever taken issue with it. There are very few, on my side (maternal/paternal), that I refer to as Aunt/Uncle Whatever. If I do call them aunt or uncle, it's generally in reference to someone unrelated to us. One of them I refer to as Uncle Asshole, if I must refer to him, as he's the one who molested me. I call him that no matter who I am speaking to, family or not. He died a few years after our wedding, thank the FSM. Now he can't diddle any more kids, including his own grandkids/greatgrandkids. I know he messed with his 2 daughters, though they'll deny it out loud. I saw him go into their rooms and lock the doors, and saw the girls' faces and demeanor after. I know what that looks like, cuz it was what I looked like/acted like/felt like.

Dh's side, some of his aunts and uncles are in the same age bracket as us. It's quite odd calling them Aunt/Uncle Whatever. His family on his dad's side is practically Duggar sized. In fact, one of his uncles is several weeks younger than he is, and he is the 5th (or 6th, I can't keep everyone straight) oldest grandchild, lol. The grandkid next youngest after him, was born 2 days before Grandma and Grandpa's last kid (the aforementioned uncle Dh is older than.) There's about 5 of them, that uncle included, I think? that are the same age or merely 2-5 years older than us, some of who have kids younger than our kids even. It's so convoluted, the only time we refer to them as aunts or uncles, is to make people go "Whaaaaaaat?" and do a double take thing.

I started out calling them Mr. & Mrs., but my mother-in-law asked me to use their first names, so it did. Once we had kids they were Grandma Vera and Grandpa John. They're both gone now, though.

I still call my brother-in-law Awful Steve, but I try not to do it to his face. He hasn't pissed me off for a while, though.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...