Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you call your in-laws?

Quote Originally Posted by purplekitty View Post
    To their faces...

Do you refer to your in-laws as Mr./Mrs. Last Name? By their first names? Mom and dad? Something else.
    Everybody calls Doug's dad Poppy. So I do, too.

i called my in-laws by their first names, but would also refer to them as Grandpa George, and Grandma Nancy when talking to my kiddos. I miss them terribly. We didn't get to spend a lot of time together, but they always made me feel welcome.

We, meaning my family, call my mom and dad, mama and papa. Those are the names they chose to be called once grandkids came along, and now it is just habit for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    Yeah, once the kids were born, I refer to them as Pop and Grandma Debby. That pisses SMIL off apparently. She went through a phase where she kept correcting them to just call her Grandma. She's lucky she gets to be called Grandma anything to them and lucky that I love my kids enough not to refer to her as Grandma Bitchface.
    When ds was small I know my FIL's wife was angling for "Grandma" - if he'd been talking by the time they cut off contact (or we did?) I might have allowed "Grandma Gail" but probably not. If she'd been a step mother to dh sure - but they got together after dh and I did so no . If ds was to connect with them now it would be Gail or nothing - I would not permit her to be a "Grandma" anything.

My DIL to be calls us mom and dad. To be frank, we are more parents to her than her own parents are. They have a lot of issues, and don't get along with one another, and put her in the middle all the time. She tried to call her mom while we were wedding dress shopping, for example, and when her mom didn't pick up, her dad said "her ass is probably drunk again". Dude, just keep your thoughts to yourself.

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    I call them fucker and motherfucker to their faces also lol
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

MIL is Louise, or Weezie if the mood is right.

DH calls my parents by their first names as well. My sister's other half calls my mom "Gran" like our kids do...which is just so effing weird, but she doesn't mind and we're all used to it.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

By her first name. But only when necessary lol

Melts in Your Mouth -- srsly! M&M's Avatar
    My husband and I have been married 18+ years. My mother-in-law never invited me to call her "Mom" and I don't feel comfortable calling her by her first name. So generally, I just speak to her and avoid calling her by name. Or I call her "Grandma Cherie" which is what my kids call her. When speaking about her to my friends who don't know her, I tend to call her "Mac's Mom."

My father-in-law died less than a year after we got married, but when I speak of him, I call him "Grandpa Doug."

Jumpin' Jack Flash-----------------------------------------------George Michael McKitty

Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post
    I call them fucker and motherfucker to their faces also lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    When ds was small I know my FIL's wife was angling for "Grandma" - if he'd been talking by the time they cut off contact (or we did?) I might have allowed "Grandma Gail" but probably not. If she'd been a step mother to dh sure - but they got together after dh and I did so no . If ds was to connect with them now it would be Gail or nothing - I would not permit her to be a "Grandma" anything.
    Yeah, DH and I made a decision together to let her be Grandma Debby. I can tell it makes him grit his teeth, but he did not want to involve the kids in any adult business. They had been married for 17 years by the time our first was born.

DH is way more forgiving than I am and she is lucky he is. She did not become his stepmom until he was in his 20s. He had known her for years though because their families camped together and did everything else together. She was like a mentor to him as a teen and she was his mom's best friend…right up until she and FIL behaved like the pieces of crap they are and slept together and busted up both families.

IMO, they are both lucky they get to be anything to my kids.