Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "So are you and XX still together?"

Quote Originally Posted by Maxmammy View Post
    It's weird .....I have had extremely weird & rude questions asked since DH passed. I chuck it up to a lot of people have no social skills
    My mom was caught off guard by this repeatedly after my stepdad passed away, people asked some very personal questions and were really persistent about it. I think that some people trip over their manners when someone has passed away and they are searching for the right words, I've learned that it's best to keep it simple and let people discuss what they feel comfortable sharing.

For a married couple, unless I had significant reason to believe otherwise, I'd proceed based on the assumption they were still together.

For a dating couple, I might not make the same assumption, but I wouldn't outright ask if they were still together. I'd probably just avoid the subject for as long as possible, and wait to see if they either mention the partner's name, or mention their divorce, or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by purplekitty View Post
    I would always assume a couple was still together unless I knew otherwise.

Add me to the weird bench.
    Yep, this person operates under the "I assume everyone gets a divorce" mindset.

Crunchy and a little nutty PB&J's Avatar
    That's weird but it's happened to me a few times with people I haven't seen in many years. I figured it was because DH and I started dating in high school and got married so young they just figured it wouldn't work out. lol We have been together for almost 25 years now, we've been together longer than we haven't!

My Happily Ever After. <3 lilone's Avatar
    I'd probably lean towards, "How is xx?" :)
    ~Vicki~

Moving right along....

On the weird bench. She gives the impression she expects there's a good chance you're not together.

DH and I had been together a few months when his friend's girlfriend asked, "so how long do you think you guys will make it?" How the hell do you even answer a question like that? Weirdo.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

The weird thing is is that I'm in contact with her daughter - we see each other a few times a year and are FB friends sort of thing - so I would have assumed it would have come up if we'd gotten divorced . Although maybe her mother has a firm policy of not discussing my family at all?

Totally weird way to ask.

I had an old boyfriend continue to call me after Dh and I started dating. It was almost funny - he called at regular intervals after I told him I had a boyfriend, and would ask if Dh and I were still together. First it was "yep, still dating" then "yep living together" "yep, getting married", "yep, pregnant"... For the last one he was actually in town visiting friends and wanted me to meet him at a bar. . Nice try buddy. Never heard from him again fortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could have been worse. After you said "yes", she could have added, "My God, you're REALLY still with HIM?!"
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."